General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I've been absent for over a week ..............

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2015 04:25

......... but I have received some very nice messages from people, some of which I have just seen this evening in various threads.

Thank you all so very much for your best wishes.

The story is really quite strange!

I got several mosquito bites, and one of them infected me with a bacterium that causes a skin disease called Erysipelas. I got to the doctor quite quickly and they started me on a 7 day regime of a very strong antibiotic at 2000 mg per day. This was actually the strongest one that could be taken orally, according to my 2 doctors.

If the rash had not begun to improve within 48 hours, I was under strict instructions to get to Emergency and be put on an IV antibiotic

The erysiphelas did improve and cleared up by day 7, thank goodness, but the side effects of the antibiotic took a lot longer, leaving me with nausea, lightheadedness, and a couple of other nasty things. The extreme heat we've been having also began to affect me.

I think I'm now about 50% back. But I don't want to have to take those antibiotics again!!!

I've been able to be at the computer for 2 short periods today, the first time since Sunday July 5, so things are progressing

The moral of this story is, if you get a mosquito bite that begins to itch several days later, feels as though there is a swelling, and you then begin to get redness with a rash ................... get to your doctor ASAP, tell them it is an emergency.

Mosquito bites and entry through small cuts are the 2 most common ways of getting Erysipelas.

If you google Erysipelas, you will see how nasty it can be.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Jul 2015 04:52

Poor you, Sylvia, I am sorry you were affected so badly and felt so unwell. Hope you will be 100% back to normal very soon.

I react strongly to mossie bites, especially if abroad, so will bear this info in mind for the future.

Take care

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jul 2015 07:50

I googled it - and wished I hadn't!!
That sounds awful, Sylvia, and so easy to acquire :-(

Hope you feel better soon <3

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Jul 2015 08:17

Sounds horrible. Glad you are on the mend.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jul 2015 08:47

Pleased to see a post from you Sylvia. I hope the improvement continues and you will soon be back to feeling well again.

Von

Von Report 15 Jul 2015 08:55

Sylvia
Good to see you back. Really sorry to hear you have been so poorly. I do hope you will feel better very soon <3

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Jul 2015 13:19

Wow! What a horrible thing to happen to you, Sylvia. So glad to hear that you're on the mend and hope you'll be back to 100% very soon.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 15 Jul 2015 15:23

Sorry to hear you have been so poorly with being bitten.
The mozzies like me as well and I had some particularly bad bites when living in Spain,but not as bad as you have.
I had one particular bite that swelled my eye up so bad I couldn't see through it.
I smothered myself in citronella oil,which helped a bit.
They never bothered my husband.I wonder why some people are more prone than others?
I do hope you are soon back to your normal self. <3 <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2015 17:07

Thank you all

Yes, I've never had such a reaction to a bite before, although I'm usually bitten more than other people ................. like Brenda, I am very attractive to them :-( I usually get a red swelling and itching for 2 or 3 days, and then it gradually subsides and fades by about a week later.

It was also so unusual to have so many of them here in the city and so early in the season.

Maggie ............. I felt the same thing after I had googled it!!

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 15 Jul 2015 22:12

Dear Sylvia

Hello

I am very sorry you have been poorly.

Please do take things easy and look after yourself.

You have been missed much. <3

Take gentle care
With many good wishes
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx