General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I would like some advice please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Apr 2016 18:52

I'm thinking of going to Netherlands to research my grandfathers birth place, house, hospital, he was born 1902 Bussum soooo my questions at the moment are where would have this kind of info, library, records office, would it be in English if not would I be able to get it translated. That's all for now, thank you.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Apr 2016 19:19

Errrr.. it would be in Dutch? :-D
You'd probably find someone who could translate bits of them for you, but it be would be wise to have worked out how core words were written/translated.

Presumably you've found all you can via on-line records.

This is quite an interesting page on birth certificates, with embedded links
http://www.dutchgenealogy.nl/birth-record/

See what is relevant from Cyndis List, a genealogy portal
http://www.cyndislist.com/netherlands/

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Apr 2016 19:44

I have indeed found some info from on line and am just ignorant as to where to go when I get there, thank you DetEctive, I suspected it would be Dutch but at same time hoped it wouldn't :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 3 Apr 2016 21:51

I was going to make a comment about "Double Dutch", but that would be flippant.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Apr 2016 21:55

I'm fluent in gibberish but not Double Dutch :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 4 Apr 2016 11:59

I talk a lot of rubbish.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Apr 2016 12:23

Have you tried the free site - family search, I've just done a quick check and by just putting in Bussum and births 1901 - 1903 several births came up. I found my husband's Dutch relatives here a couple of years ago with parents named.

https://familysearch.org/search/

:-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Apr 2016 12:26

One of my Dutch ancestors owned a house called "The Worm In the Hoop" in London. Another was shot down over Holland in 1943. Researching both made good reasons to visit Holland.

Most of the people speak excellent English and are very hospitable. They have extensive well kept records going back to the year dot. If you choose to go over there it is best to make appointments. Lack of Dutch language is not a problem as all the people you meet will speak good English.

For records < 100 years old you may be asked for proof of relationship.

good luck