General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Error Message

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 6 Apr 2016 11:57

I can't load my family tree, just keep getting the error message. Has anyone else got this problem please.

Wendy

****Edit It's now opened but is different, it has a dark green background

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Apr 2016 12:08

works fine for me, v quick

which browser are you using? don't use old versions of Explorer.

try this:
log off from GR
flush browser cache
close browser and restart

try this: open up a command window
( start ¦ run ¦ cmd )
and enter this command:
ping 213.128.240.86
it should return < 30 ms - what speed do you get?

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 6 Apr 2016 12:20

I am using Chrome, which I've used for years, just tried with Fire Fox but still getting the error message. I think the tree that has come up on Chrome is an old version. I have fibre optic and speed is good

I will finish getting some info from tree while its still there and if the problem isn't solved I will try and follow your advice

Thank you Rollo for your help

Wendy

Susan

Susan Report 6 Apr 2016 12:27

I am get this also Google Chrome have stopped serving Windows XP I have just sent a message to GU to ask what to do now If we can't get int our trees what are to do Sue

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Apr 2016 12:32

Yes, it does look like there is still a problem. I'm getting the standard GR error page.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 6 Apr 2016 12:33

Fire Fox doesn't work either Susan I don't think it's the browser as I also get the same message using Safari on my iPad. I have Windows 7 on my main PC

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Apr 2016 12:54

Chrome has not stopped working with Windows XP nor will it.
Chrome will not release any more XP related updates and fixes but existing Chrome installations will continue to work ok for the general web.

XP is not really a very good OS choice in 2016.
Most painless fix: UG to Windows7 - genuine Win7 avail for £ 30-50 if you shop around.
Cheapest fix: install Linux (free and no threats about Chrome)
Best fix: Install Windows10 but rigs > 5 years old could face driver issues.
Easiest fix: get a box with Win10 already installed
Laziest fixes: (1) get a Chrome Book (2) get your local teen to hitch up a Raspberry to yr smart TV and sofa surf. Some kiddies can even do this eg my nephew (8).
Riskiest fix: Apple have any number of issues for people upgrading their OS whether on computer, tablet or phone.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Apr 2016 13:01

I keep an old XP DELL box for testing 'cos some clients just won't budge. If it ain't broke ...

anyway I tried GR tree ( 4 000 entries ) with XP using Firefox #47 and XP SP3
tree loaded almost instantly
network Virgin biz broadband

GR tree loaded ok on my phone (XperiaZ5 ) ok as well.

suggest any problems not with GR

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 6 Apr 2016 13:24

All back to normal for me now :-D