General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Photo's...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Jun 2016 06:15

Passport and/or Driver Licence.

Do you look like yours?

I renewed my Driver Licence this afternoon. I thought I looked bad on the old one (five years ago)..........

The new one............ OMG.............. I look like my granny!!!!!!!!!!

:-(

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jun 2016 06:27

The last time I went through Passport Control I looked like Clark Gable.

Then they confiscated my open bottle of duty free booze :-D :-D

I looked like Gollum. A perfect match for my Passport photo :-( :-(

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Jun 2016 08:25

On a positive note, I will never be accused of being a doppelganger.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Jun 2016 11:29

lol @ the open bottle......... did you have a nice flight?

:-D

I'm now 3 years older than my granny was when she died..... should I be worried?

:-0

Instructions from man who took photo.......... "look at the dot, keep your mouth closed, and don't smile"..... then "lift your head up a little bit"......... in the photo I'm looking down my nose at the camera and I'm slightly cross-eyed.

Granny wasn't cross-eyed, but she didn't smile much...... I don't think she smiled at all after grandad died.

kandj

kandj Report 7 Jun 2016 12:16

I had my driving licence photograph taken after three sleepless nights looking after
our grandson who had whooping cough. I look OLD, baggy eyes and drawn face,
but I earned worked hard for that look, and wouldn't change it at all.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 12:25

We all look different to the way we perceive ourselves. In my mind, I'm 25 :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jun 2016 12:31

Well I am obviously unrecognisable by my passport photo as the emachine wouldn't let me through, to my shame I was called out "Lady in booth 2 step out please" And had to go to a person. Oh and I was doing it correctly, same gentleman was bellowing instructions. However, I had kept my glasses on as he had not said to take them off if they were off in the photo. (our instructions tell you to remove glasses these days).

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Jun 2016 14:42

I have white hair and used to look reasonable until they banned coloured backgrounds. (Photo booths used to have blue or orange curtain). Now my hair is almost invisible and since they banned glasses I look like an aged zombie! :-(

As for the e-booth, I avoid those and rely on a human being to let me through.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jun 2016 14:51

I think it was Sir Ernest Shackleton who said that, if you resemble your passport photograph then you are not well enough to travel.

There was an occasion when several of we interviewers were comparing ID photographs and concluded that none of us would allow anybody who resembled one those photographs into our homes.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 15:00

Andysmum - OH is almost invisible in his latest ID photo.
White hair, White Face, White background.
At least I've still got a bit of natural colour in my hair!

Annx

Annx Report 7 Jun 2016 15:12

Oh Scozz I wondered who the old lady was on mine!! lol It's bad enough recognising myself in the mirror these days, but those photos seem to make things worse!!

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 7 Jun 2016 15:14

My DL and passport pics look like different people and neither resemble me!

In Feb daughter got told by US passport control that her passport photo looked like an 8yr old.!
She informed him that she was about to get married and would be changing both the photo and her name in March

US dude told her partner ( now her husband) that he should dump her at Alcatraz and and come back for her when she's old enough to marry.

At 29yrs, she does look quite young and was asked for ID on Saturday....for a lottery ticket that requires the purchaser to be 16 or over!

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 7 Jun 2016 15:22

Snap, Andysmum. I also have white hair and had to take my glasses off. As the same photo has been used for bus pass, driving license and passport I feel like the Cheshire Cat. I'm gradually fading away! Well, they say older people are invisible.

When I was going through passport control a couple of weeks ago, an official insisted I went to the e-booth. I bet she regretted it. Four times the dratted machine flashed Try Again at me. Each time the official told me loudly,, in case I was deaf, and slowly, in case this poor old lady couldn't understand, where to put the passport and how to hold it down with my hand. Eventually, with me staring dementedly at the screen for several seconds, the machine allowed me through. By this time the queue behind me was as long as the queue at the manual inspection booth and the people in the queue obviously thought I was the local village idiot :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jun 2016 20:58

Vera glad it was not only me. We were forced to go through at Manchester, didn't have a choice. There were about 6 ebooths they were splitting off long sections and sending them through whether or not they had a chip on the passport. Daughter said she thought that by next year most people will have the correct passports so they will probably have fewer customs working and more booths. I hate the things. Vera did you take your glasses off to go through? I didn't and mine are reactolight so may have gone dark I wondered if that was the oroblem?

BrianW

BrianW Report 7 Jun 2016 21:41

My OH eyes are bad and can't see much without glasses.
Without them in her photo she's squinting and unrecognisable!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jun 2016 00:09

My DH is one of those rare people who looks like his photographs!

It's hard not to when 3/4 of his face is covered with a beard.

btw...... we've been together over 30 years, and I've never seen his face.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jun 2016 05:19

I had new passport photos taken about a month ago

and yes, they're even worse than the one in my just-gone-out-of-date passport.

Take off glasses, don't smile, look up at the white board above the photographer's head.

My eyes are staring and could even be said to bulge, as if it was a cop shop ID photo!

I was wearing a pink top but had a black padded vest (gilet?) over it, and was told not to take off the black ................. I hate the contrast between my face and black when there is no softening scarf or colour.

It's awful!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jun 2016 11:07

and..... to top it all off.

Our house is haunted.

Every time I try to look in the mirror the ghost of an old lady appears in front of me, and I can't see around her to look in the mirror.

:-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jun 2016 12:44

I was sitting in front of the window one night, it is double glazed so that might have some bearing on the reflection, and when I looked up, my late Aunt Carrie was looking back at me.

To make matters worse, my cousin June was on the Ansaphone tape.