General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Street View

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Jun 2016 15:23

http://goo.gl/2EsBq3

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Jun 2016 15:34

A few years ago my neighbour was sat watching Tv
when a car come through her front window at speed
It pushed the sofa she was sitting on over on top of her

and the exhaust on to her gas fire
She was very lucky all she suffered was a broken arm
and her grandkids where asleep upstairs
where shaken but un hurt

I don't think it takes much guessing it was a stolen cat :-( :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jun 2016 15:55

Did you read the article Rollo? A female pedestrian died!

Annx

Annx Report 14 Jun 2016 15:59

Have you noticed that whenever they report something to do with accidents like this they always say 'the car left the road' like the car had a mind of it's own and it was nothing to do with how it was driven.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Jun 2016 16:39

afaik "critically injured" is not dead.

A while back I was walking down a city street with a mate when I realised that an oncoming car was going to hit us ... no time to shout so barged my mate over and we both rolled out of the way though my jacket came to a dusty end. The car kept right on going through a plate glass window and into a tea shop where plenty of damage was done but somehow nobody hurt ( except the driver and his girl friend ). There was no prosecution - "lack of evidence".

Always expect the unexpected.
:-0

Island

Island Report 15 Jun 2016 00:08

Who the heck is 'afaik'? Is it someones board name? :-S

Island

Island Report 15 Jun 2016 00:17

:-D @Joy. 'stolen cat' . :-D :-D :-D

Yup. I fell for it LOL

Oh but wait.........

Is the stolen moggie called Afaik?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Jun 2016 00:36

AFAIK...........as far as I know...........iirc

Island

Island Report 15 Jun 2016 00:50

So quick and easy to type too Bob

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jun 2016 07:16

Come on you lot. Give a gal a chance :-D

This early in the morning I am just getting my head straight with a second cup of coffee.

iirc. ????

I is rightly concerned.

Innit really cr*p?

It is ROFL comical. (Taking the proverbial with this one.)

Please explain in the mother tongue which is infinitely easier to read than guessing what initials mean. Plain English or at a push I can read plain French, but I guess iirc are English words initialised.

:-S :-S :-S

Island

Island Report 15 Jun 2016 09:17

Don't 'you lot' me JoyL ;-)

It's old men trying to look like they're 'down with the kids' that I find a tad sad.

Ssutcgajryeae - so sup up thee coffee gal and just roll your eyes at 'em. :-D :-D :-D

Graham

Graham Report 15 Jun 2016 10:16

It's amazing that a car impaled through a tea shop window is not considered as evidence. :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jun 2016 11:05

Island - for one brief moment I thought you said roll something else. :-D :-D :-D

How rude of me.

sumcangofl supped up my coffee and now going out for lunch. :-D

Rollo, did you not hang around to give evidence, was it lack of sober evidence or did you find out that the car people had connections? ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Jun 2016 12:39

He probably needed to change his trousers urgently!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Jun 2016 17:09

If I recall correctly..........
iirc

came across those on a French car forum...........yes, I had to ask, as well........LOL

possibly used when telling how to reassemble the luffing shaft, and giggling pin assy.......

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jun 2016 17:29

Luffing and giggling my assy off here Bobtanian coz I haven't the foggiest what you're on about. :-D

Are you one of those engineers who can bamboozle people or one of those 'Yesterday I wanted to be an engineer, today I are one' totally brilliant sorts of engineer?

It really doesn't matter which as all engineers can bamboozle me. :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jun 2016 18:10

Luffing: (a) bringing a sailing ship up into the wind so as to slow it down and (b) setting a course so as to impede the progress of another vessel by depriving it of wind.

A cross floor chock is brought on from the lower end of the futtock to the other, butting against the futtock-heel-chocks and bolted fore and aft ways. A second futtock is brought on the rising chocks at the floor heads. (Marine engineering and wooden ships)

I hope that is clear.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jun 2016 18:46

Well before my Dad's and brother's time then Rollo, coz they never sailed on wooden ships - one RN and one Merchant Navigation.

Now if my ancestors on my Gran's side were still alive, I may have been more informed. Every last one of them went to sea in some capacity.

From your information I gather you sail. Aren't there plenty of sailing boats/yachts still of wooden as well as fibre glass construction?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jun 2016 19:21

yes, there is a lot of salty blood in our family.
It doesn't always work out though. This happened Jun 29 1938 - my father always wore a black tie this day:

Roy Demetrius Glenn RN, Commissioned engineer, aged 40, Warwick St, Leamington Spa
http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/thetis.html

yes, I like messing about in boats and even building and repairing them. I hold a Yachtmaster' Offshore cert. and was a 470 instructor. The last significant wooden boats built in the UK were about a century ago - the last of the Thames barges and the Nicholson's Shamrock class yachts at Southampton. Our family used to own a Thames barge and I loved the annual race. The costs though were too much and I had to let her go. There are quite a lot of small yards in the UK making open boats of one sort and another in wood but no tall ships with futtocks. Most of the historic yards are now taken over by luxury housing. We live in a world where everything has a price.

The BBC are to put out a new series of "Swallows and Amazons" soon but it has been edited so as to be pc. We Didn't Mean To Go To Sea.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jun 2016 19:44

Very interesting but sad, Rollo.

It's not all 'messing about in boats' for some is it?