General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Jun 2016 10:02

Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. I've been a member of GR off and on for years and years. I update my tree about once a month and I realise that I have to wait for fourteen days before I get any 'Hot Matches', however when I click on 'Hot Matches' I just get the message that there aren't any and to come back later. At one time I would get an e-mail telling me about hot matches and also potential matches now I don't get anything, am I doing something wrong?

Margaret

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jun 2016 10:12

Hot matches hasn't worked for some time :-(

Kense

Kense Report 17 Jun 2016 11:21

Hot Matches do still work.

The difference between now and a few years ago is that they have limited the number of entries checked each time the hot match software is run. Also they have made the comparisons more stringent. Previously it would consider matches if the names and birth years were the same.

The old system produced many matches that were completely irrelevent but the current system only finds occasional matches which, I have found, are usually correct.

They don't send emails about them any more but do tell you on the home page.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Jun 2016 12:45

I got hot matches a few weeks ago :-D :-D

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Jun 2016 14:04

Thanks for your replies, I suppose that I'll just have to be patient, I've a lot of people with matches against their names which I do sometimes check but it is time consuming and people don't always reply, I suppose that they have more or less lost interest.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jun 2016 15:58

I haven't had any for yonks :-|

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Jun 2016 16:30

I had one the other day, which was actually correct.

Kense's comment about comparisons is correct. Back in the day, only names and birth years had to match but now places of birth do as well. Assuming you know where your ancestor was born, there are dozens of different ways of entering the details eg Skipton/Skipton Yorkshire/Skipton England/Skipton Yorkshire England and that's before you include the entries with the street name included!! :-S :-S :-S

I think most of us have given up on Hot Matches and are just pleased if we get one.

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Jun 2016 19:16

Perhaps GR is no longer the place to be but I've always liked it better than that well known site (A) as here your tree is completely private until you decide differently. I hadn't realised that they'd made those changes, I'd rather get irrelevant 'matches' that I can discard rather than miss out because of a footling difference in spelling or form of address.