General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Somme, 100 Years ago, 1 July 1916

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 30 Jun 2016 21:42

Dear All

Good Evening,

Tonight, 100 years ago, British and allied troops prepared for one of the big battles of World War One.

By the end of 1 July 1916, there had been a slaughter on a scale never experienced before.

The British suffered more than 57,000 casualties.

Tomorrow, there will be commerative services on BBC1 and
a further programme in the evening on BBC2.

TO REMEMBER ALWAYS.

With the deepest of respect.

Take gentle care
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 30 Jun 2016 21:51

So lovely to see you again Elizabeth <3.
I too am remembering those brave men that fought so hard for us. I am still working on recording all the soldiers of WW1 from our town that fought for us in the Great War.

May they never be forgotten

Graham

Graham Report 30 Jun 2016 22:03

"The Battle of the Somme, also known as the Somme Offensive, was one of the largest battles of the First World War. Fought between July 1 and November 1, 1916 near the Somme River in France, it was also one of the bloodiest military battles in history. On the first day alone, the British suffered more than 57,000 casualties, and by the end of the campaign the Allies and Central Powers would lose more than 1.5 million men." - http://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/battle-of-the-somme

Lest we forget

Mersey

Mersey Report 30 Jun 2016 22:10

Always lovely to see you Little Red Riding Hood :-D ;-) <3

Lest we forget, never ever to be forgotten

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 30 Jun 2016 22:36

They gave their tomorrow for our today.

EOS <3

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Jul 2016 06:14

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 1 Jul 2016 10:49

A young generation lost RIP.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 1 Jul 2016 15:09

Hello Elizabeth <3 <3

Lovely programme on the BBC this morning <3 <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 1 Jul 2016 15:29

A most heartbreaking time RIP <3

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 1 Jul 2016 15:42

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/ww1-centenary/every-man-remembered/

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Jul 2016 18:43

indeed a very poignant day - one of my Dad's brothers, Jack was killed on 7th July and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial - he was 19 years old and the absolute image of my Dad

He was shot by a sniper whilst crossing a field on the edge of a wood - he was buried where he fell but later the field was bombarded and his grave obliterated - that's why he's on the Thiepval Memorial

His last remaining sister, who died when she was 99 years old was so pleased when I discovered that he did in fact have a grave

RIP Jack - aka David John Williams

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jul 2016 20:14

Today is Canada Day, the 149th anniversary of Canada signing the British North America Act to be a federation of provinces and a country.

Newfoundland calls today Memorial Day, not Canada Day, and has done so since WW1

On July 1 1916, the Newfoundland Regiment, all volunteers, was ordered out of the trenches at a place called Beaumont-Hamel to start the Somme Offensive.

About 800 men went over

60 men answered the roll call the next morning. All the rest had been killed.

The Regiment is now called the Royal Newfoundland Regiment by order of King George V, and Princess Anne is the Colonel-in-Chief.

Princess Anne was to be in St John's today to take part in the 100th anniversary remembrances there.