General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Warning to Virgin Media customers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jul 2016 08:34

Do you have an account with Virgin Media . If so be warned there is a spam phishing email coming into your email inbox saying there is a problem with activity on your account and you will be disconnected unless you confirm your billing

It looks very convincing.

It has a click here connection which asks you to log in with password

I put a wrong password in but still got taken to a page asking me to fill in my info with card number etc

Noooooo I never do that so I came out and have phoned Virgin Media and been told yes we know it's going around ,will make a note on your account that you have had the email . Mark it as spam please

Sooooo folks if you get an email don't get fooled as its looks so authentic

Take care :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jul 2016 09:09

That's interesting Shirley.

I had one last week from Virgin Money. As far as I can recall, we do or did have a savings account which I think we closed. If it is still open there's only a piddling amount of late additional interest in it.

OH had to look really carefully before he could spot the tell-tales.

Did you by chance pay your sewage or water bill online recently? I think Virgin act as agents for Southern.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jul 2016 09:45

Yes,I pay southern water by direct debit.had a,problem with them earlier in the year when I changed the account over after hubby passed.it is working ok now though

I deal with them directly

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jul 2016 09:55

If you go into the Virgin website, there is an email address you can forward phishing emails to. Will add shortly!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jul 2016 10:01

Have spoken to them and they are aware of the email and are investigating it

They said thanks no need to forward , just mark it as spam

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jul 2016 10:08

That's good.
For other’s delectation, Virgin’s website gives recent examples of phishing emails

http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/?branding=virginmedia

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Jul 2016 10:21

They aren't the only ones. Recently we have been getting them from Nationwide and, occasionally, Halifax.

They all get forwarded to the relevant phishing address.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Jul 2016 12:24

Free is always the most popular option for any product including e-mail. Part and parcel of free e-mail is that you are open to all kinds of hacks and scams. Virgin does next to nothing to protect its customers from such and if you are a VM customer ( I am ) forget all about their e-mail service.

This kind of scam against VM accounts is fairly common sad to say. One I saw not long ago offered a mega TV deal, v convincing, needed all yr details inc visa etc lol. A lot fell for it.

If you have a friend who is of a technical bent it is not that difficult to set up your own secure e-mail server otherwise there are plenty of secure e-mail services available for a monthly fee of a few pounds. These services only allow connections to trusted servers and people on your white list.

Always make sure you have a security package installed which includes an email scanner.

No ISP or bank ever send any kind of e-mail or url which involved entering account and contact details.

thank you for the update

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Jul 2016 12:29

I don't get many, but two recent ones were, "there's a problem with your Apple contract" and ditto " your netflix contract" , neither of which I have :-) Both wanted me to confirm my details in order not to "lose the service".

Might be 2 that people would easily fall for?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jul 2016 13:13

Thanks Shirley, will warn my OH :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jul 2016 15:37

Well I get the bank ones and usually on my virgin media email .i look at them and think you are kidding !!! Get lost

This time though as it was the first one supposedly from Virgin Media my initial thought was what??? I only set up the account in Nov in my name . Previously it was in hubbies name and he paid the monthly direct debit .

I did have a what's going on thought and clicked on the connecting site . Alarm bells did ring when it accepted the wrong password . I knew I had changed it but wasn't sure without checking my list what the latest one is

When the page came up for filling in all the private details my inner alarm bell went off and I came out thinking not sure I will contact Virgin Media .

It really was an authentic looking email & I was slightly not happy with it .
Am computer savvy but it did make me think .

That's really the message don't fill in personal details on unsolicited emails

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jul 2016 20:33

Some of those e-mails fishing for bank details are very good.
Fortunately, I neither do internet nor telephone banking, but know they'd never ask for details either by e-mail or the phone, so any phone calls, are quickly brushed off with a few 'choice' words, and e-mails are just sent straight to the bank's phishing address.

I had an interesting recorded message from HMRC.
Apparently I was in deep doo-doo, and was given a number to call back on - once I had a solicitor with me!!
Shame it was a recorded message, I had a few threats to put to her...........
:-P :-P :-P