General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have had my gutters cleaned

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jul 2016 15:52

Didn't hurt at all :-D

We used to get our window cleaner to clean them every summer.

He had to give up window cleaning some time ago because he got dermatitis.

Took some time to find another window cleaner but he declined the job of gutter cleaning

With hubbies declining health it wasn't something we kept on top of . Was speaking to a neighbour this week and somehow the subject came up . I thought I need to get it done

Looked online for local companies and reviews for their work and phoned one who was able to come today due to a cancellation

All done by vacuuming out . Looked at them first by going up a ladder to see what needed to be done. . They weren't too bad as both have down pipes So back and front gutters plus the gutter on the garage all done

Cost £85 plus vat Am happy with the price and that the gutters are now clean for some time

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jul 2016 16:49

It's a never ending job - we had a sapling growing in ours until the rain washed it away :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 8 Jul 2016 18:03

Get mine done every June cost £25 :-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 8 Jul 2016 20:10

Had mine done last year,but my gulls got their own back and filled up the gutters with moss,so waiting till later to do.

I have a chap who has a vacuum with a camera on so that he can see inside them.he also cleans down the drains as well.last time charged £35 and I am detached and not a bungalow,so think that very reasonable.

He calls himself....Charlie Gutterz!.think he just does it to keep himself occupied as he's not a youngster,but it's no climbing. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jul 2016 21:02

We had ours done last week, along with them washing the windows and the 2 skylights.

Our gutters hadn't been done for about 5 years, and the windows hadn't been done for about 3 years.OH used to do them but finally admitted that he didn't feel too certain up the ladder.

Two young men came, and they climbed up on the roof and cleaned the gutters by walking along the roof and scraping stuff out, putting it in a bucket hanging from the gutter. The bucket was then emptied in our compost pile :-D

How do I know?

I looked out of the kitchen window and saw the guy's shadow on the street, he was pushing a long broom or something along the gutter. Then when I looked up, I could see the white bucket :-D

The guys then washed the windows with a power washer, some from on the roof and some from standing at ground level.

The power washer left some of the windows a bit streaky ............. but the next rain washed those streaks away!

Total cost was just over $300, or about £125 or so.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Jul 2016 01:39

It's risky having windows washed with power washers as it can render d/g seals useless.

The gutters here should be ok as replaced when the facsia boards were replaced last summer.

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Jul 2016 03:12

DH cleans our gutters..... at least three times every year!

We're surrounded by large evergreen trees that constantly drop leaves & seeds.

When we moved here (nearly 10 years ago) we found small trees in the gutters, I don't think they'd been cleaned for years. The first summer rain we had was torrential..... the gutters were so blocked, we had Niagara Falls.

Re windows........ we tried the Windex Outdoor (attach a hose to the bottle) to clean the upstairs windows....... wouldn't bother getting it again.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Jul 2016 03:19

Liz

depends how good the seals are :-D