General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

More trouble

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Jul 2016 22:17

Turkish army trying to take over Turkey.

So much trouble. Can we have a good news day please

:-(

Von

Von Report 15 Jul 2016 22:20

I saw that Pat.
Just waiting for a news update.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 15 Jul 2016 22:21

I have been watching the coverage on RT. This has so many implications whether it succeeds or fails. :-(

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Jul 2016 22:32

Northern part of Cyprus controlled by Turkey. Don't know if it will mean the border will be closed or normal and they'll ignore what's going on in Turkey.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jul 2016 22:39

The situation for the people in Turkey had been getting quite dire, since Erdogan 'assumed' power in 2014, he's been becoming more and more dictatorial.

Edit: Ergodan sought asylum in Germany - and has been refused :-D
He's now gone to Tehran - good luck there, Ergodan!!

I worked with Sybel from Turkey. What she told me about what was really happening under Ergodan was never reported by the media.
His departure would be no loss.

magpie

magpie Report 16 Jul 2016 10:29

The coup has failed which is probably a good thing. President Ergodan didn't 'assume' power, he came to power in 2002, and became the country's first elected president in 2014 and the legitimate leader of Turkey . The coup was treason against the lawful state, and as such would have been illegitimate in the eyes of the world, like Egypt.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Jul 2016 11:01

Well, yes, he was elected:
"The election was criticised by both the political opposition and international observers for alleged media bias in favour of Recep Tayyip Erdogan, corruption allegations, the inaccuracy of opinion polls and the misuse of official public resources during Erdogan's campaign."

He was also the 12th President.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 Jul 2016 11:09

He is also trying to take it from a secular state to an Islamic one. Those that have been captured need to be pitied. No rights here, people disappear or shot in the street if they oppose the government.

Von

Von Report 16 Jul 2016 11:14

Can't help feeling that this is still a volatile situation :-(

A bit more diplomacy wouldn't go amiss. Words like "Revenge" as allegedly used by the president certainly don't help the situation.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Jul 2016 11:21

Aren't we lucky to live in cosy UK and not have to face all these ding dongs of other countries. ;-) :-D

Von

Von Report 16 Jul 2016 11:27

The trouble is Kay they have a nasty habit of spreading.

Oh please forgive me I'm told I must look on the bright side of life despite what is happening in the world ;-) :-D

magpie

magpie Report 16 Jul 2016 12:12

That was the late Shah of Persia who was 'our bastard' Only strong dictators can keep a grip in the countries of the Middle East, ghastly though they are. Anything else as has been proved is much worse. As a chap in Iraq who was interviewed on TV said, 'There used to be one Sadam in Iraq, now there are dozens'.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Jul 2016 19:52

Oh dear, the anti Rollo brigade have struck again :-|

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 18 Jul 2016 06:07

Erdogan wants to restore the death penalty.

Turkey removed the death penalty to start it's move towards the EU. That must be the only 1 they did.

Why people think they were about to join the EU I don't know. All member states have a veto. Cyprus will veto until the cows come home.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Jul 2016 12:46

And since you mention Trump, Rollo, now is not the time for Americans to vote him into office but I am sure he has a good following of isolationists. I'm hoping (and, indeed, praying) that they'll be outnumbered or (dare I say it?) come to their senses.

I do not see him as a peacemaker or skilled political negotiator at all.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Jul 2016 15:19

My friend went on Holiday to Turkey on Saturday
She is having a great holiday
and has seen nothing to be worried about

Lets hope it stays that way :-D :-D :-D