General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Venn diagram

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 16 Jul 2016 20:55

Have you ever had to use one?

v?n/
noun
a diagram representing mathematical or logical sets pictorially as circles or closed curves within an enclosing rectangle (the universal set), common elements of the sets being represented by intersections of the circles.

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Jul 2016 21:01

yes.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 16 Jul 2016 21:07

What for Rose?

I think of it in the same way as that dreaded bath that leaked, calculating the height of a tree/cliff or the algebra I had to learn the rules for but have never had the need to use.

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Jul 2016 21:19

Can't remember exactly but used it during a training course for work, probably something to do with customer demographics?

Never had to use algebra, but do sometimes wish I remembered more about things like binary ( but only when D is talking to me about it in relation to computers )

Caroline

Caroline Report 16 Jul 2016 21:37

Yes when helping my kids do their homework !!

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 16 Jul 2016 22:16

You can use them as a sorting tool.
You could have one circle of men's names, one of names of people with red hair. Where the circles meet or intersect would be the names of men with red hair. Add in a third circle of people aged 34 and where the three circles meet you have 34 year old men with red hair.
I'm not sure how useful they are nowadays (I used to teach them to my infant class) but they look good in lectures and demonstrations!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Jul 2016 22:25

Like Caroline, I learnt about them when my sons were at school. I haven't ever had to use one!

Kense

Kense Report 17 Jul 2016 11:12

Never used the diagrams but used the underlying logic a lot. Also used plenty of algebra and trigonometry and calculus.

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jul 2016 13:44

"As a young lad I was always fascinated with how things worked and why. This tended to make people hide things like clocks."

That made me laugh Rollo, my brother was like that ( I believe making stair alarms to startle the unwary was his speciality as a child) there were always boxes of valves and cables around when I was young. The 'how does it work' gene i f such a thing exists seemed to pass to my son, I cannot tell you the number of things that were taken apart and ( sometimes) put back together when he was little ( and still come to that) ... with a special fascination for anything electronic.