General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ants Grrrr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 19 Jul 2016 10:15

They are everywhere!!!

Yesterday they were swarming outside the kitchen window, had found their way inside before I became aware. I thought I had cleared them all & wiped down all surfaces. Today I have ants running everywhere.

I wiped surfaces with white vinegar, hoping that would get rid, but obviously did not work. Will try feeding with laced icing sugar but if that does not work will have to go get Nipon.

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Jul 2016 10:40

Why did God create such pesky creatures?

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 19 Jul 2016 10:40

We have had them here as well Carol...the dining room was swarming last night :-0

We spent ages cleaning them up, OH says they should go within a couple of days, just their time of year to swarm :-0

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Jul 2016 13:33

I read once they hate the smell of mint not sure if it works.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Jul 2016 16:38

try icing sugar and bicarb mixed together
Place where they will walk through it

Island

Island Report 19 Jul 2016 16:41

Is that so they leave little footprints and lead you to Ant HQ Joy? ;-) :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Jul 2016 16:52

No they go back to the nest and as ants cant Fa*t

when they lick the powder off their feet in the nest
the explode so its a fast end :-D :-D

ann

ann Report 19 Jul 2016 16:54

Another Ann. I have a lot of ants on my patio and my dog loves sunbathing there. I put approx. one third of vinegar to hot water and throw it all over and the ants die where they are. Only thing is my dog stinks but better than the ants

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 19 Jul 2016 17:15

I used to use tartaric acid powder mixed with sugar when we had huge ants when living in Spain.they feed on the sugar and take the mix back to their nest
Another one we were told was to draw a ring around the mixture with chalk and they don't like crossing it.
Good luck.!

Island

Island Report 19 Jul 2016 17:23

Why are so many people surprised to see ants at this time of year? :-S

Uk ants do no harm in the garden so unless they set up a colony in your house, leave them alone.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 19 Jul 2016 18:54

I have no real problem with ants in my garden, even when they farm aphids, I did when we had small children/animals sitting on the lawns.

It is when they come into the house that I have to do something about them.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jul 2016 22:23

I had a flying ant's nest in my compost heap for about a month.
But I also have sloworms in there.

I looked tonight - no ants, but two very contented looking sloworms :-D :-D

SuCal

SuCal Report 20 Jul 2016 23:42

We used to get ants in the kitchen every year until we tried putting several of those little ant bait stations around the outside of the house in very early spring when the ant nests were just developing - that year we didn't get any and they have worked ever since . Been doing it for 4/5 years now -added advantage did not like sprays or powder with a small dog around but just pop half a brick on each station and he totally ignores them- you can see the ants scurrying in for the poisoned food and taking it back to kill the rest of the nest - result !

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Jul 2016 23:47

I have non-flying ants eating my skirting board :-|

This has been going on for years, I dread to think how much skirting is missing behind the cupboards.

They eat the skirting, and 'appear' by the taps. This year I had the 'Nippon' behind the taps as soon as I saw them in May - result - no more ants! :-D

David

David Report 21 Jul 2016 06:53

Try curry powder, that'll shift them.

Island

Island Report 21 Jul 2016 19:10

Strewth David, the lawn would be going off like a minefield! :-0 :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 21 Jul 2016 20:10

I got stung on the tongue by one this afternoon. I picked up a plum from the bowl and didn't notice the ant on it. It was like a sharp pin prick, I can still feel it several hours later.

We have to be careful not to throw the fruit stones into the waste paper bin at this time of year, or the bin would be heaving with ants

David

David Report 21 Jul 2016 20:13

HIRE AN ANT EATER FOR THE SEASON (ONLY JOKING)