General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HP Spectre 12" Convertible Laptop

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2016 21:22

I have some Air Miles (ie, loyalty points) that will run out in December, and want to use them up.

I've already decided to get a Nikon Coolpix S700 with some of them, but have about 10,000 more points that will disappear between December and July next year, so ..............

I've been looking at the HP Spectre 12-b017ca x 360 Convertible PC with Bang & Olufsen Audio. It comes with Windows 10

We looked at tablets, notebooks and convertible laptops the other day in a local store, and got some information which let me zero in on this as against a Notebook, but they didn't have the HP Spectre on display.

I want it for use when we travel, the intent being to access and respond to email, access the internet for Google and the sites that I visit, and also for some general "word processing". We already have a Toshiba laptop, but it is larger and quite heavy, and this looks as though it will fit more easily into a carry-on bag. The Toshiba is one more item that has to be carried by hand, although it does fit within the carry-on allowance!

Does anyone have any experience with this machine?

Whatever I get will be basically "free", as the points count includes taxes and shipping, although I will have to buy some accessories from a store, such as an extra battery and larger memory card for the camera, and a mouse and possibly a case for the Spectre

I'm not a techie with computers .......... I know which keys to hit and sometimes which buttons to push, so I need simple answers without technical jargon

Von

Von Report 10 Aug 2016 21:39

Sorry Sylvia can't help.
I have an Asus T 200 which looks similar. I love it.

I can do all I need on it .
Hope you get somebody who has more experience who can help.
:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Aug 2016 00:26

Thanks Von!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Aug 2016 11:03

It's a great piece of kit - go for it especuially on the move. Desktop replacement it is not.
It should be running windows 10.

The model you cite has an i3 CPU which is much beefier than the atom (cheaper) option and it doesn't overheat which both the previous model and the i7 option tend to do.
HP claim you can attach an external screen using the USB C port but we've never tried it.
HP customer support is poor so don't rely on them too much.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Aug 2016 17:47

Rollo

Thank you!!

That's exactly what I needed to know.

I'm not looking at it as a replacement for my desktop, but just for when we're away for longer than a few days.

I don't think I would use HP support ..... we have an excellent "computer geek" who takes care of our various machines.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Aug 2016 21:34

I should have added that it will go sunup to sundown on one charge of power used carefully.
Much better value for money than M$ Surface.

Don't forget to set it to backup to a cloud service whenever it has a broadband connection.