General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My eye opening thoughts for today.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Oct 2016 11:34

Because he wants a peaceful life, OH brings me a cup of tea in bed before he goes off to do whatever it is he does when he goes out in the morning.

It is while I am drinking this that I tend to have my most eye-opening thoughts.

I had at least two this morning. One was that, once I have finished making this ten foot patchwork and before I go off and part with ridiculous amounts of money for somebody who knows what they are doing to quilt it, I am going to have to bind forty feet of edge!

The other was that, when I first started doing my family history, the record office was busy raising money to buy the microfiches of the imminent 1881 census and now it is only four and a half years until the 1921 census will be out and Fred will be on that one1

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Oct 2016 14:07

Seeing family too on the 1939 register is an oh my moment too

I looked for my parents and for myself and elder siblings . Found mum and dad but us kids had been evacuated . I did find my auntie and uncle and I was a closed record .thank god lol, but it was sad to see my sister as an open record with her married surname quoted . She passed in 2001 so a bit of a gulp moment

Was lovely though to see our mums handwriting ,she filled in the form and I recognised her writing

Guess we will all in time show on records which is a sobering thought

Even hubbies probate is online !!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Oct 2016 20:24

My mother and father are on the 1911 Census, with their parents :-0

Mum was the only child at that point .................. but her mother's father was living with them and she had never told me that!

All of Dad's living siblings were on the 1911 with him.

In fact, his parents and the 2 oldest surviving siblings were on the 1901 Census.

My mother's parents were not yet married in 1901, but they were at home with their parents and siblings.

But I got confirmations that I was really on the right track, and also other leads.