General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Changing Web Host Providers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 20 Nov 2016 21:18

Our prostate cancer support group has a website for which I act as webmaster, set up three years ago.
The hosting contract with iPage came up for renewal and I got charged an extortionate amount.
I need to change providers to a more reasonable supplier but having identified one I need advice on the procedure to follow in order to execute the swap.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Nov 2016 22:16

https://www.1and1.co.uk
no brainer

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Nov 2016 11:14

It is more than likely that the domain authority for yr web site is with the existing ISP. It can be expensive / difficult / impossible to get them to release the domain to another ISP or the ostensible "owner". If that happens all you can do is to start over and leave a pointer from the old site and hope the old ISP doesn't jump on it.

A far better approach is to register a domain yourself and only then fix up for a web hosting site. This approach can be economical but is never the cheapest. It also requires a bit of real know how beyond point n click.

Get a copy of .net magazine (Tesco, WH Smith, JS etc) which has a handy index of web ISPs.