General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Exciting find.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Huia

Huia Report 1 Dec 2016 21:12

On Facebook a researcher posted a photo she had bought of an arch over a street. The arch said 1840-1890. She didnt know which part of New Zealand it was in, but studying the photo she was able to read some of the writing on a building on the left: Bakery, and part of a name. She researched bakers looking for the probable name and found it was in Parnell (Auckland). She also found that the shop opposite was of a bootmaker, E Auger, and she could just make out the name on it.

Wow, E Auger was my gt grandfather and I have a photo of his shop/home. I put it on her page, and it is identical to the shop in her photo, so that confirmed her identification of the place. Very exciting.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Dec 2016 21:13

how exciting for you - wonderful!!!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Dec 2016 00:35

Parnell Rate books from the 1800's can be found here with mention of E. Auger:-

http://ow.ly/sDYW306JlrN

Kath. x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Dec 2016 14:56

Wonderful Huia.

Annx

Annx Report 2 Dec 2016 15:51

What a great find! :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 Dec 2016 18:51

Such a great coincidence for you both, Huia.

Lizxx