General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New member How to copy another record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kenfire

Kenfire Report 21 Dec 2016 16:13

Can and/or how do I copy records from a request Family tree

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Dec 2016 17:04

Welcome to the boards.

TBH, I hadn't realised that the records in someone elses tree could be viewed. Try right clcking with your curser and seeing if there is an option to 'save', 'copy' or download to your computer. You'd then need to upload to your keepsafe and attach to the relevant person.

If you mean how do you copy ancestors names from someone elses to yours, you'll have to do it manually. We wouldn't recommend it as even the most experienced researcher makes mistakes. That can lead you in the wrong direction.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Dec 2016 19:26

Ancestry allow users to copy a twig a branch or even sometimes the whole tree and for all I know with just a few clocks. It causes chaos and for that reason most useful Ay trees require permission from the owner.

However perusing some if the public trees on Ay can be very funny.

NEVER just take for granted something in another tree make sure you have at least two pieces of evidence.

Even then ... I have in my tree a guy with an unusual name who got married in Lincolnshire 1840. Another guy, not related, but with the same name married in the same place at the same quarter. At least the wives had different names.