General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Our cakes.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2016 15:55

Probably because he would rather take orders than responsibility, I know I would, Forty Years A Chef has never been a head chef although he was a head cook in military kitchens. So, as we each have different strengths, we tend to make things together but I have to be in charge, even though I don't know what I am talking about and he carries out his orders to the letter but does not think anything through because he doesn't have to,crafty git!

After the already related saggy Christmas cake event we managed to turn out two pretty good ones and he has been in charge of getting them drunk. Because he has done it for years and many times, he covers the cakes with marzipan and icing and I do the decorating.

In previous years, when I have fed the cakes I have turned them over but I didn't think to instruct him to do so and neither did I think to tell him to turn them over before he covered them, so he didn't!

Now we have two gurt lumpy fruit cakes looking like snow that has been shovelled up off the path. I showed them to him and asked if it wasn't usual to upend a cake before you cover it so he said he would do it now. Oh yeh,right, so then we would have two of the worst Battenburg cakes the world has ever seen that rock about on the stand.

He is quite lucky I have not thought to decorate him!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Dec 2016 16:08

:-D :-D :-D :-D. Sharron. I am picturing him stood with icing on and a plastic Xmas tree on his head

Merry Xmas to you both <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Dec 2016 16:11

:-D :-D :-D

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 24 Dec 2016 16:21

:-D :-D

I didn't know the word 'gurt' so I googled it. When my attack of the vapours had passed I asked myself 'so how does that fit in with a Christmas cake?' :-0

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2016 16:21

Plastic tree but not on his head!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Dec 2016 16:36

Ouch !!!! Will it have Baubles and tinsel too ;-) :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2016 16:37

I am not urban, I am rural. They are like gurt bigguns.

How gurt ever came to mean that I do not know but I believe the Great Britain in Bristol, Brunels ship, is known as the 'Gurt Biggun' and I think the dock still has only water in it!