General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Online birth certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ti

Ti Report 27 Feb 2017 14:46

Does a anyone know of a site where you can pay to view ancestors birth certificate online? Thanks

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Feb 2017 15:01

For the UK you will have to go to either the GRO or local office and get a paper copy GRO charge £ 9.50. The copy remains govt copyright.

Some ancestry members post GRO certs.
There are also cert 4sale / swapping sites.

Most of the time you can work out a tree without certs. However they have info which can be crucial such as witness names and occupation / name of father.

Always make sure any entry in yr tree has two independent ref. NOT counting Op tree.

Ti

Ti Report 27 Feb 2017 15:16

Hi Rollo I'm just wanting to know a date of birth for a relative and don't think you can do this just from birth record.. Or am I wrong?

Kense

Kense Report 27 Feb 2017 15:51

Other replies on:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1364975

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Feb 2017 15:59

You're not wrong. You do need to buy the certificate. Rollo is correct in saying that sometimes birth certificates are up loaded to 'exchange' sites or onto public trees.

What year are you considering and are they still living?

Sometimes you can find baptisms on line where the date of birth has been recorded.
Death indexes (England & Wales) since the mid 1960's record the dob. However, that is provided by the informant who could have got it wrong.
The 1939 register (England & Wales) also gives dates of birth although some people gave inaccurate information. You won't be able to access names if they were born less than 100 years ago or, with some exceptions, died after 1992/outside of England or Wales.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Feb 2017 16:00

Generally you would need a certificate or other record already mentioned.

About when was your ancestor born?

If a child was a dependant of a wartime serving soldier, their birth date might be recorded and be shown on World War 1 service records.

Ti

Ti Report 27 Feb 2017 16:07

Just see you can you get digital copies on amcestry.com. thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Feb 2017 16:12

For goodness sake, don't buy through Ancestry! They charge in excess of £20 where as the original price is £9.25 via GRO. http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Are you sure you aren't confusing a birth certificate with a baptism? Or possibly the GRO birth index? You can view that for free 1837-c1973 at https://www.freebmd.org.uk or https://familysearch.org

Why don't you tell us what you are looking for & we'll point you in the right direction.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 27 Feb 2017 19:57

Sometimes a Death Record will have the date of birth on.

My Grandmother died in 1975. I had her d.o.b from GR through the Original Death Record and Transcription (22nd April 1873)

edited .... which was confirmed when I ordered her birth certificate.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Feb 2017 20:08

birth dates on death certs are often out sometimes by a few days sometimes by months and years. This is because the person reporting the death will often be relying on the deceased not always the most reliable source of birth date or place.

Such dates since 1945 approx are more reliable than those earlier.

ancestry also holds probate records and these can be v informative.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Feb 2017 21:05

Probate entries can be found for free on https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

You do have to do the hard work yourself rather than benefit from Ancestry's search engine. Its worth mentioning that not every Estate went to Probate, and if it did it may have occured several years after the death.

However, Trina was asking about dates of birth; the Probate Calendar is useful for the date of death.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2017 08:37

If they were around in1939 the the register will show their birth date as they recorded it

I have seen deaths records were the birth date doesn't quite tie to the record on the 1939 . Who knows which one is wrong . More likely the death recird as that is as the informant thought they knew !

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2017 08:41

I certainly wouldn't want my family birth certs available for all to see!!

Some truths have got hidden over the years that come to light with certs

Our ancestors wouldn't like to think all and sundry would be privy to what info was around then

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Feb 2017 12:30

All and sundry can indeed see yr birth certs simply by shelling out for a copy. Some countried have restrictions not the UK.

True the public GRO register is only online to 2006 but needing a visit to Kew etc will hardly deter heir hunters, journos and determined F.h.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2017 15:04

Well yes they can but they have to buy the certs not view the info online for free

I have found some family secrets but have to look for the families and to buy certs to tie up the info

Some folks didn't like their " dirty laundry" exposed They tried to conceal but had to do official recording

For instance my paternal gran had one sister who had an illigitmate daughter in1911
When that daughter married in then1930's she didn't want to admit to be illigitimate so she named her grandfather who was desceased as her dad

No way was he her dad but the mum didn't give on who he was

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Feb 2017 17:32

Scotland allow downloads by bought credits for births over 100 year old.those outside the time limit can be ordered online @ £12 for each certificate.

scotlandspeople.gov.uk

needs your registration.

Ti

Ti Report 28 Feb 2017 23:04

thanks all it was was i just wanted an online copy really thanks all.