General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Soooo feeling a bit old now and panicky

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Mar 2017 16:08

I am not asking for congrats it's just my birthday is the 22nd and i will be 80

Can't think this is meeeeee

I remember when I first started my family tree research that I could never imagine in 2000 I'm would be 63

When I was at my monthly chiro last week i was asked how do you feel

Well can't believe I will be 80 but also can't help thinking how much longer do I have

Bless my chiropractor she said you are ok. You could have 20 more years !!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Mar 2017 16:15

So you could Shirley, many people are living to 100 now. I am not far behind you (3 years) and 100 would be fine by me if I was like a lady I saw recently on TV who still had all her faculties, able to walk and talk well (can't help about the hearing that won't change but I can live with that as long as I am mentally alert).

Hopefully we can stay active for a lot longer yet. :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 Mar 2017 16:16

Know what you mean Shirley. My OH is 70 at the end of this year :-S

Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of my passing out parade in the WRAF. It's the big parade at the end of basic training before trade training. Where have the years gone.

One minute I'm a teenager joining the WRAF next minute it's 50 years later :-S

I'd take the 20 years if I were you :-D wonder if you'll get a card from King Charles. ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Mar 2017 16:17

And we have Brenda in Wales on here now who is already 80 and who entertains the 'old folks' with her group.

And I am sure there are others. you could start an 80s group thread! :-D :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Mar 2017 16:35

Congratulations! I'll be joining you in September.

According to my son I will live for ever - I'm as tough as old boots!! :-) :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Mar 2017 17:24

When I first started to look into my family history the County Record Office was busily raising money to buy the microfilms of the 1881 census.

In a minute the 1921 census will be available on-line.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 17 Mar 2017 09:16

In my eyes age is only a number :-D :-D :-D. My body aches like an old en but my mind and humour is that of a six year old :-D :-D :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Mar 2017 11:19

Same here LG you dust yourself off & enjoy every day :-) Shirley we have so much knowledge & Wisdom .& memories .I am only 70 but in my head still a young un ;-) <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Mar 2017 12:13

It's all very true folks

Think this all ties in with Mondays blues being hubby's birthday. He was 81 when he passed but had been going downhill for almost 5 years

I feel fine. am in full fettle mentally and fairly mobile ,Got a few aches and pains but coping so it's onwards and upwards and enjoy each day

:-D :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 17 Mar 2017 12:36

I get down too sometimes Shirley with all my aches and pains(waiting for a knee replacement) but hey ho upwards and onwards no good mopeing <3 <3 <3. I have my health other than that so think myself lucky :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Mar 2017 12:45

A good friend of mine died recently. She was 74 and had a brilliant relationship with her children.

The girls always said she would be too much trouble to look after when she was old and they had been looking for a home for her since she was in her fifties.

She knew her illness was terminal and said she was glad she had lived long enough to see her daughters become menopausal because they had never given her any sympathy when she was so she could do the same for them.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Mar 2017 14:57

Sharron

I like the sound of her

:-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Mar 2017 15:25

She was great.

Newby

Newby Report 17 Mar 2017 16:00

My kind of lady Sharron xxxx <3

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Mar 2017 11:48

No way to you look 80 hun

I am shocked xx :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Mar 2017 12:05

why thank you Joy

curtsies :-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 18 Mar 2017 13:37

Thanks Ann for giving me a mention. And I will be 82 in June.
AnninCardiff is a year behind me I think.

I've not been 100% really since Christmas having pleurisy etc.but our little band have gigs booked next weds and Thursday the next week.Im having a cataract op the next day,and 4 days later have another gig for the disabled club.so it's a busy time .

I went to see the extra care home 20 miles away that were playing in next Weds,yesterday to check the space we are playing and plugs etc.

These extra care homes are beautiful .not at all like a residential home.
There was an elderly lady in reception in a wheelchair,obviously a resident ,who said...Can I help You...and she did as well as showing me her beautiful apartment .quite large,with entrance hall,a lovely lounge,2bedrooms kitchen and bathroom with walk in shower.She had been there almost 8 years and loved it.
They had dining room,hobbies room ,lovely lounge a restaurant for non residents as well.

The next one we are going to is another of these homes.it makes the thought of when you can no longer manage on your own more acceptable than a residential home.
Suppose you have to be quite mobile and it's not a nursing home,but a wonderful idea.
They had a weekly poster of things going on for the week.
You can stay in your own apartment ,or join in with what goes on.
However ,I'm hoping I'm not quite ready yet!
:-D