General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still births

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 30 Mar 2017 12:54

Please can anybody tell me if still births were still put on the birth registers in the late 50s, we have been lead to believe that there were twins in the family and one died at birth but I can't find any record of this.
Many thanks in advance.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Mar 2017 13:02

The birth of the surviving twin would be on the birth index, but would show as a single birth there.
Their sibling's birth would be on a separate stillbirth index. I believe access to this latter index is restricted and only available to very close family.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Mar 2017 16:27

I'm not entirely sure if a still birth in the 1950's would automatically appear on the Still Birth register or whether is was a voluntary registration.

In any event, either the parents, or if deceased the still born child's siblings, would need to write to the register office where the surviving twin's birth was recorded.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Mar 2017 18:21

The still birth register started in 1927

If one twin was a stillbirth then they should be on that register
Accesss though is restricted to parents or if deceased to very close relatives