General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Step by step guide to how not to do things

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 14:49

Someone RR for no reason
You pull it for no reason
You give non answer for pulling
They know the team that doesn't use logic/common sense is in today so they RR some more

So endeth today's lesson :-D :-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Apr 2017 15:13

I thought GR had given an undertaking to monitor the RRs?

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 15:14

Yep they did but that person must be off today !

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 15:14

Well it has been over a week maybe they forgot..

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Apr 2017 15:16

It's always been the case that if you complain in further posts about being reported, (whether the original report/s were justified or not) that those posts too will be pulled. It's happened to many in the past including myself.

Sometimes you just have to accept that you have made an enemy or enemies and that your name alone is a red rag to a bull. You then have 2 options , never complain about a report, move on & just post something else entirely. Or never post anything without being 99% sure it can't possibly offend, particularly if it is a jokey comment.

Or, 3rd option, leave and come back when another target has set themselves up or the person/s who didn't like you have departed for pastures new or mellowed in their old age. :-)

David

David Report 20 Apr 2017 15:18

Shouldn't GR advise the poster who was offended ?

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 15:20

Agree on all those points except I pay my dues and part of that payment allows me to make comment without being offensive...none of my threads has ever been offensive....tongue in cheek...stupid but never offensive....should I be censored because someone else think they know better.....No......do I think the RR person(s) are childish yep you bet but that's their problem in their sad sad world.... :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 15:25

GR do tell you if you question why in so much as they send a non letter saying here's the guidelines we can't say who or why but we pulled it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Apr 2017 15:30

I wouldn't say that about anyone Caroline, that none of their posts has been offensive, after all an innuendo can slide straight over one persons head but be offensive to another person, just as a joke can.

If I say something that genuinely offends someone then, they have the right to report it, even if no offence was meant. I wouldn't want to see a return to the old days when truly vicious posts remained on here until a member of staff removed them ( particularly as now there are so few GR staff!).

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 15:35

I'm not disagreeing with you can't go back to how it was in the past.
I though think that most of the people on here if not all are adults of sound mind, if we are to be censored to the point of no speech as anything may offend then nothing not even the weather is reportable. If I say it's lovely and sunny here some poor soul might be getting rained on and be upset therefore they can take umbrage and RR me.
IF I have genuinely offended then tell me that so I can make sure I don't do it again.
To just pull the thread is not teaching me how to play nicely now is it?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Apr 2017 17:11

Caroline, I wonder what would happen if you changed your board name and avatar????

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 17:22

That would be giving into them...anyway they'd soon work out my new name due to my highly intelligent content :-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Apr 2017 17:29

Is there anything on this earth not capable of annoying someone, somewhere?

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Apr 2017 17:35

I would say no but that might offend someone.... :-D