General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Those years went quickly

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 May 2017 12:07

Just realised that it is 25 years since we moved into this house. It seems like only a few. Lived in many houses but this one is my favourite. :-) :-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 5 May 2017 16:22

Just intrigued .... why is this one your favourite?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 May 2017 08:56

Caroline, difficult to say really, I suppose it is connected with family visits from grandchildren when babies, the fact that I like the layout of the house, it is a comfortable one to live in, we have good neighbours. And we have rebuilt the garden from a scruffy lawn and two borders and an apple tree to what it is now, therefore so much of ourselves have gone into it. And we have been happy and spent our retirement here together. :-) :-) :-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 May 2017 12:33

That makes sense :-)
This house you had time to do things like arranging a garden, not having young kids snapping at your ankles every day.
I hope you enjoy many more years together there.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 6 May 2017 12:37

We have lived her 38 years
Apart from when we had an apartment in Kent for a year :-D

I love it here Everybody around is like family :-D

I am glad your happy where you are Ann :-D :-D :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 May 2017 13:42

Ann I constantly say · where did the years go"
I did say 4 yrs ago this house is my last move and I do love the house and have spent much on it getting it right.
but
I have itchy feet :-D
and my Dad did call me his little gypsy.
No plans to move in the near or distant future but T did say with me who knows but it wouldn´t be just house but country also ;-)
as if :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 May 2017 16:45

Thanks Caroline and Joy.

Uzzi, it eventually will boil down to cost I imagine. We have lived in 10 different homes since we were married, 4 of which were rented in the first 18 months of marriage. After we became owners, the first move was for more room (second child), the rest of the moves were all because of OH moving jobs, twice within the same company. I used to get itchy feet until we settled here.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 6 May 2017 17:48

I moved here in 1988.

I fell in love with this property the minute i set eyes on it.

It was a new build, cottage style.

In the next village is my favourite Indian Restaurant...i have been going there for many, many years. My best friend and her husband (Who i grew up with) also live in that village.

It is a tiny quaint little village square and in the centre, there are two cottages that extend onto the road through.

I don't know why but, those two cottage have always fascinated me...(Especially the end one) so much so, i would always choose a window seat at the Indian Restaurant so that i could view it.

I think that is why i fell in love with this cottage because it does look similar to the cottage in the village.

Not long before my Mum died in 2004........when she was high on medication, we drove though the village. I had taken my Mum there many times before and several times to the Indian Restaurant.

Anyway, on this particular day, my Mum pointed to the cottages and said...."That's where your Grandmother lived" Well..............that was very odd because she had never, ever mentioned that before. But, being high on medication i thought no more of it.

In 2007 when i first started researching my family history.........i sent for my Grandmothers birth certificate.

Well my eyes nearly popped out of my head...........My Grandmother was indeed born in the end cottage in the village square.

How spooky is that!

I have actually traced my Mothers family living in the same place as far back as the 1841 census.

Spooky but true. xxx

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 May 2017 19:29

Ann I haven´t been married half as long as you ( 14 yrs and together 21) but probably equal your moves :-) , I will say tho´this house is special as it´s the 1st we have "owned" together previous to this it was pubs.