General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's a dilemma ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jun 2017 22:01

All these people who are going to emigrate if Corbyn gets in :-)

That should solve the 'immigration problem' nicely. But where will you all go?! It's 'just' possible that Europe won't take anyone if the brexit deal is not satisfactory.

So where would you choose to run to? :-)

of course the biggest bonus is that K Hopkins goes too, that's got to be worth the price of a pint in celebration :-) My treat lol.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jun 2017 22:20

:-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 26 Jun 2017 22:29

We don't want you unless you would like to spend a long time on a relatively barren Island. Tents will, of course, be provided together with nice security guards, purely for your own protection. ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jun 2017 22:32

No thanks Allan :-)

If I do ever emigrate it would have to be somewhere very green, and perhaps snowy in winter :-) Nowhere hot :-)

Allan

Allan Report 26 Jun 2017 22:46

In all seriousness, Rose, Tasmania would fit the bill :-)

Very much like the UK but still prone to bush fires in Summer.

Although born in England, Tassie was the first place where my daughter saw snow :-D

I could cheerfully live there

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Jun 2017 23:06

Allan - I could do that!! :-D :-D :-D
I've already done it!

I won't be leaving if Jeremy gets in - but may end up in a tent if May keeps going :-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jun 2017 23:06

Probably NZ - we both have migrant family there.

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jun 2017 23:20

I have an old friend who emigrated to NZ, I think that might suit me too. Middle earth ;-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 26 Jun 2017 23:48

We would spend 6 months each year with you know who ;-) who has promised to buy another house and the other 6 months split between family and friends worldwide :-D so rotate between Aus, Cyprus, Mexico, France and Spain.

Putting aside some weeks here to see youngest and grandkids.

Nomads really lolol until friends get sick of seeing us ;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Jun 2017 23:56

My niece was less than thrilled with Van Dieman 's Land but has now settled in happily nr Brisbane with her kids. Lots of rellies nearby. She is very happy and has no thought of returning.

I don't think May and Davis have quite grasped the nature of the "negotiations" they are called that 'cos it looks better. The citizen status offer is nowhere near what is expected. May has a huge capacity to disappoint but even I expected something more realistic.

Neither she nor Davis have got a clue how to negotiate. Given that they are on the backfoot and deporting 3 M people not an option they should have gone for a max deal exceeding Barnier's expectations. The UK side could have seized the initiative and be on a roll. Instead they intend to visit the Home Office agony on every EU citizen an inch at a time. nuts. Davis can shout "fight, fight" but there is only one 400kg gorilla in the room.

Will EU citizens have to sew large blue stars into their garments?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Jun 2017 00:12

...apparently they'll have cards (that they will have to pay for), that will identify their right to have access to employment, the NHS etc - but they're not ID cards :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jun 2017 00:24

Worrying for all those who are here, and especially for those who have come most recently as the 'cut off date' is not yet known, nor the position regarding family members.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Jun 2017 00:31

Those who arrive in the next 2 years will be in limbo, and may even have to register (and pay) for their non-ID cards twice.
Nurses can't afford that.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Jun 2017 09:13

Everywhere in this world has it's problems so it could well be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jun 2017 11:06

E.U. Nurse recruitment is already down by 95%. In part this is due to the UK demanding far too high a proficiency in English. About half of the Eu nurses already here and 70% of surgeons and G.Ps are planning on leaving within 5 years. The major issues are low pay and residence rights.

Australia never had it so good.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jun 2017 11:27

It would not be possible to operate a system of EU ID cards unless the Native Brits had an ID card as well. D Davis is dead against ID cards. Accordingly the UK proposal envisages a "virtual ID card" to be accessed by computer when needed.

How long such a system would take to develop how to stop hacking and what it would cost is not given. We do know that HMG computer resource is so tight that a chunk of the NHS. Dwp and HMS Queen Elizabeth not forgetting the nuke subs are still running Windows Xp. Then of course brexit will demand a total rewrite of customs and borders systems...

Eventually the pain in people's pockets plus the utter impracticality of the brexit project will cause it to be abandoned most likely like an ancient dinosaur stuck in its Silurian mud. Being stuck in the mud is unlikely to please either business or the electorate.