General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Always a bit difficult

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jun 2017 16:57

asking for recommendations but I am going to try..

My printer has given up the ghost. Print head gone. It is a Kodak Hero 5.1 and has been excellent, must have had it about 5 years. Used a lot especially for photos that I use for cards so need to be good.

So I need a printer/scanner that prints good photos (good colours), ability to print double sided, hopefully ink not too expensive and not too heavy on ink, WiFi optional and not too complicated to use.

don't want much do I? Anyone got any suggestions for printers that are actually available now (the Kodak 5.1 isn't)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jun 2017 18:13

Hmm! Not a lot of help there then

YG

YG Report 27 Jun 2017 18:47

Hi Ann

I am unable to recommend one, but wondered whether you have looked at any of the reviews online. This link may be useful: http://uk.pcmag.com/printer-reviews/7928/guide/the-best-photo-printers-of-2017

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jun 2017 20:23

Best deal is Hp Colorlaserjet2 M252dw
Which you should be able to find For £ 150 Inc vat
Much cheaper printing!
Small footprint.
Good luck

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jun 2017 20:40

Thank you YG. And thank you Rollover, will look that one up.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 28 Jun 2017 00:05

Computeractive's best basic buy is the Canon Pixma MB5750 - I was window-shopping for a replacement - I was slightly put off by a few of the reviews had found it difficult to install. OH has an Epson XP 245 which he is very happy with, I was going to get one of those as he said it was quite straightforward to install, and I will get that if my all too basic HP one seizes up again, but when clicking furiously round I discovered a page saying Wifi off, I didn't even know it was wifi but switched to on. These are all but budget end of the market, under £50. It is well worth reading user reviews on the on-line catalogues

Edit - han't tken about photo printing - need objective reviews!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2017 04:07

I have the HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer, had it for 3 or 4 years now, and very happy with it.

It copies, scans, and downloads from the computer.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jun 2017 09:15

I have a canon pixma mg5510 and it was difficult to install on my old desktop as it wouldn't connect wirelessly so have to have it connected by a scart lead
I get lost sometimes getting it to do what I want.from my desktop But It does print very good pictures using Kodak photo sheets .
It was easy to connect it though to my laptop and iPad by wifi

I have printed several pictures off and put them in frames and you wouldn't know they are prints rather than an original photo

Would I get a canon again .yes I would even if I am a bit of a dodo

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Jun 2017 11:20

I too have a Cannon Pixma Printer/Scanner/ Copier/Fax ( MX340) and although I'm am very happy with it., I found the most annoying "blip"

I need to make sure that I never run out of either the black or colour ink cartridges

I don't do a lot of printing and I use it mostly for scanning.

It has an LCD display which gives a warning when either of the ink cartridges has run too low.
The warning will not clear and NO other function can be accessed until the blooming ink cartidge is replaced.!

That includes the scanner function ... which, of course doesn't actually require ink but, such is the machine!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Jun 2017 11:47

Ink jet printers can deliver an OK print but for more than occasional printing and multi copies they are slow and very expensive per page printed. In any case avoid inkjet printers which do not have dedicated black.

Much the same is true for printers with a scanning function, OK for a few pages but much too slow for anything more.

for routine mono printing a budget laser printer wins out hands down.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 28 Jun 2017 15:42

I have a Canon 3250 and print hundreds of pages both B & W and colour.

Wifi brill, scanning programme very good and a simple one touch B & W or colour copy.

Cartridges are good value.

I tend to buy cheaper printers and assume they will die within 24 months. This has lasted longer than that..lolol

Good luck

Sue

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2017 21:31

I eventually settled for a HP 5640 printer scanner copier which had good reviews. Reduced to £69.99, Wifi, duplex, not used it much yet but seems ok for my needs.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jun 2017 00:53

we've certainly been happy with our HP Envy 4500

Hope yours works as well as ours.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Jun 2017 09:46

Thanks Sylvia, it seems fine so far, easy to use.