General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspaper article on an ancestor John Mitchell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 28 Jun 2017 19:20

Hi is there anyone out there who has access to newspaper articles. I do not have this access and cannot at the moment afford to add this to my membership. I have located an article in the Whitby Gazette in November 1904. It is about my husbands Great Grandfather John Mitchell, born in 1866 and who died on 29th November 1903. He was a mariner and only aged 37 when he died. The article includes an obituary from his wife, children, father and his brothers and sisters. I would like to find out how and where he died and think that this is probably included in the article. His address at the time of his death was Raglan Terrace in Whitby. The article has a heading of "The Marstalla Sandaend". I would be very grateful for any assistance anyone could give. Thanks.

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Jun 2017 19:45

In Memorium - Whitby Gazette 25 November 1904

Under Births, deaths and marriages

Loving memory of my dear and loving husband John Mitchell aged 37 who died suddenly November 29th 1903
Dearer to memory than words can tell
From his sorrowing Wife, Children, Father, Brothers and Sisters
6 Raglan Terrace
-----
In loving memory of my dear brother John Mitchell who died suddenly November 29th 1903
Ever fondly remembered by his loving sister Jate
Manchester

The Marstalla Sandsend has nothing to do with it - just what's been highlighted and included with the bmd's on the page. It's a letter written by SH Adams of The Marstalla, Sandsend about the Friends Adult School !!

Daftoldbat

Daftoldbat Report 28 Jun 2017 19:56

I have had a look and no further details are included as the article is an 'In Memoriam' from the first anniversary after his death; several small messages from wife, children etc, but no more that you have already given here.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 29 Jun 2017 11:59

Whitby Gazette 04 December 1903
November 29th at 6 Raglan Terrace, age 37 years. Mr. John Mitchell, master mariner. No cards

also in the same edition

Sudden death of Capt. John Mitchell
The death occurred with great suddenness on Sunday afternoon, at his residence Raglan Terrace of Captain John Mitchell who was in his thirty eighth year.
Captain Mitchell who had been ailing for a short time

It continues but I havent typed it all out. i have saved the original image and will send it to you in a message

Julia

Julia Report 29 Jun 2017 13:38

Many thanks to all who have helped. I have been able to solve the mystery of my 91 year old mother-in-law's grandfather.