General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

hmmmm .... good job I listened

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 May 2021 03:15

............ to this "spam" call.

This afternoon I ordered some clothes online from an American company that I often use, but not for several months.

After a spot of bother having to re-enter my credit card number and get a verification code from them, the order went through seamlessly.

About 10 minutes later, the phone rang, an automated call starting ....

"This is your (credit card company), we have an ...

I almost clicked OFF at that point, but then I heard my name.

That's a new one for a spam call, so listened ............

It was an automated call letting me know that my card number xxxxx had been used to purchase $xxxxxx online and was I aware of this. Click 1 if it was me

Next the automated voice asked me to click 1 if my name was Sylvia

Then a repeat of the amount and click 1 if I knew of this transaction

Followed by automated apology for disturbing me and hoped it had not caused any problem.

I've had the credit card company phone in the past to confirm an unusual charge, either amount or country, but it has always been a person on the other end!

Lesson learnt .............. if you have just charged something, don't automatically assume that an automated call soon afterwards is not "just another spam call".