General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For goodness sake!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Island

Island Report 3 Apr 2023 12:40

Is there any hope for future generations?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/other/people-have-been-left-flabbergasted-after-learning-what-wc-actually-stands-for/ar-AA19plaq?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=da5b63c74ee342f89b1f3461d08dccca&ei=10

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Apr 2023 13:05

Well yes. But this is part of a series of what initials stand for.

Island

Island Report 3 Apr 2023 13:14

Not sure what you mean by part of a series names but the younger generations do seem to get more clueless.
When I lived in a block of flats, a 30 something fellow asked at the AGM "what's a stop cock? :-0 Thank goodness he never had a flood! :-0 B irresponsible!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Apr 2023 13:19

just as well he never asked for a ball cock..!

Island

Island Report 3 Apr 2023 13:28

.... or what's a brain cell cock? LOL

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 Apr 2023 13:30

Island that is probably where he keeps it ;-) :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Apr 2023 13:39

Every few days one of the on line newspaper editions asks if people know what certain initials mean. I think the last one wa B & Q.

Allan

Allan Report 3 Apr 2023 21:58

Back in the late 1960's there was a further division of WC's into WWC's and FWC's, mainly in the slum areas

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Apr 2023 14:17

Just having a chuckle. I only had detention a couple of times at High School. (I was a 'mouse' at school). the reason for one detention was chalking another girl's initials on the back of her navy cardigan. (I didn't do this on my own) It was a joke as we were all friends but her parents complained. Her initials were WC. I was 11/12 and knew what it stood for.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2023 17:42

I doubt many Americans know the meaning of WC

They tend to use powder room, or sometimes John as in "where's the john?" even when visiting a house or flat.

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2023 17:52

Oh, that would be PR then Sylvia LOL

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2023 20:34

:-D :-D