General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This site is acting up for me ...........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2023 05:57

.......... about 8 times out of 10, I cannot open GR between about 6 pm and 9 pm my time ....... which is between ca 2 am and 5 am UK time.

I could almost believe work being done once or twice a year but almost every single night???????????

It has been like this for at least the last 2 years, I have posted about it before but iti is driving me crazy!

Kense

Kense Report 4 Apr 2023 08:01

Sylvia, have you tried using say the New Zealand site? The problem is probably caused by a backup process or some other regular function that requires a lot of processing.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Apr 2023 08:40

I must have been up and wide awake on one of the 2 out of 10 times a couple of nights ago.

Once in a while I wake up and get more and more awake so get up for an hour, ususally I look to see if anything is happening on Genes at that time.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Apr 2023 09:25

A couple of times in the last week, I have looked in during those hours and always got the 'error' message.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2023 17:46

Ah Gwyn ..... so I'm not the only one?!

I don't feel quite so lonely now :-)

I wonder if I should keep a record of the days I can and cannot get on, see if there is any thing there??

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Apr 2023 21:34

Have you asked GR Support about it? Maybe they don't know it's happening. Or if they do, hopefully they'll be able to tell you the reason for it.

[email protected]

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2023 22:30

AG ..... no I haven't, but do you really think GR will do anything??

Yup, I do have their support address, but even in the good old days, I was always told that it was MY browser that was at fault whenever I complained or reported any problem with getting on the site.

If they didn't do anything (or very little) back then for these kinds of problems, I really don't think I have the patience to report, wait 5 days for a reply, and then be told "it's your browser".

I have never believed the "your browser" excuse, particularly as I don't have any problem with sister site, FMP.

It is interesting that at least 1 person, Gwyn, has had a similar problem at about the same time.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Apr 2023 03:45

It worked for me tonight, first try too :-D

Island

Island Report 5 Apr 2023 14:16

They must have been having a late night nosy Sylvia :-D

I remember a few(?) years back when a lot of us were having problems and we were all told it was our browsers :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Apr 2023 17:37

Island ...... I remember that time as well.

Crazy, wasn't it???

People in the UK, Canada, US and Australia all having the same problem with GR and it was all due to "their" browsers". Quite laughable when you think about it! :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Apr 2023 18:50

In think the ‘it’s YOUR browser’ was the default answer to problems for lots of companies.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Apr 2023 20:22

Yes, indeedy!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Apr 2023 06:12

it wouldn't let me on until now ....... ca 10 pm here, or ~6 am UK :-|