General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sainsbury’s mince..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Apr 2023 09:37

.. has new packaging. I won’t buy this again. The meat is compressed into a mushy block. Just tried to break it up - nightmare. I make my own burgers as they need to be gluten free - this won’t break up enough to add any flavouring but probably won’t need a binder.

Wonder how todays cottage pie will turn out?

Von

Von Report 6 Apr 2023 09:58

You’re not the only one to complain. It’s on the BBC news website.

Apparently it’s vacuum packed to be more environmentally friendly. :-0 :-0

Thanks for the heads up. Although I must say that the less fat there is in the mince the

drier it is and to me doesn’t seem to have much flavour.
Hope the cottage pie turns out ok.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 6 Apr 2023 10:40

Saw this on the News, it looked so unappetising.....for that reason I don't think I'd buy it :-0. Lots of complaints

.Sainsbury's defends vac-pack mince after complaints https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124883

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Apr 2023 11:26

Well I’ve started the cooking and t spent a lot more time breaking it up. This mince will never be part of a quick meal. :-\

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Apr 2023 13:52

Just read that, Belle, and I wonder what percentage of a penny Sainsburys is saving on the usual plastic form of packing?

I rarely buy minced beef - can’t recall it on my shopping list for a few years - as OH does not eat beef and I prefer the taste of minced lamb which I usually let boil for ten or so minutes before draining off the fat then putting fresh boiled water in the pot. He’ll eat that either as a shepherds’ pie or with mash, veggies and Yorkshire puds.

I used to make burgers when the kids were young but I now buy GF ones from Sainsburys for the two of us because, basically, I have become lazy - about most household chores. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Apr 2023 21:37

Well that was interesting. I spent a long time trying to break it up but still had a lot of ‘ mini meatballs’.