General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Texting scam

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Apr 2023 11:53

Just want to let people know about a text I received today.

It just said "Hi, who is this"

I thought it was maybe a friend that had changed phoned numbers and didnt recognize my number as that happened before.

I said, sorry dont recognize your number, who are you? I'm **** and from Scotland.( i actually gave my nickname not my full name)

They replied, Im N***** and that I have phoned him at 10.00 today.

I replied I hadn't used my phone since Wed and didn't know anyone of his name. He insisted I had called him else how did he get my number. I said I would call my provider and deal with it.

So i called Vodaphone and the lady said it was a scam text to get me to give my details, ie name, add, bank etc. So the number is blocked and they cannot send any further texts or calls.

I am quite savvy so was wary but even so, scam didn't enter my head at the beginning!

Anyone else received this? Wasn't sure whether to actual print the guys name so just put N.

Lets all be on our guard.

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Apr 2023 11:06

I had a phone call yesterday, from a man with a very Asian accent, who said he was 'Derek Smith'.

He was calling me about blocking numbers, to avoid phone scams.
'Oh', I replied, 'Like the scam you're trying now?'
For some reason, he put the phone down :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Apr 2023 11:58

Oh Maggie, thats priceless :-D :-D :-D

I also had a whattsapp message inviting me to do work from home using a PC. Funny thing was, I clicked on the profile and a photo of an Asian guy in blue sunglasses came up.Looked very "dodgy", hence i blocked that number too.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Apr 2023 14:22

I’ve done the same as Maggie, but sometimes they try and persuade you that they are not scammers.

Florence, I hope you clicked on the profile just for amusement. There was something on the watchdog section of the One Show about some home working scams. You are given a number of tasks to do but before you finish they ask for money before your next tasks and so on and so on. I feel sorry for the victims, they must have been so desperate that the didn’t realise straight away that they had been stupid.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Apr 2023 15:04

Ah yes names, thats the very one. Yes I clicked on the profile just to see what the person looked like and as i said very dodgy! hence blocked immediately.

Why would they ask for money from the employee? if you were doing tasks, they should be paying you???