General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

E Bay

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Apr 2023 11:36

I had a problem with my Dyson Ball in that the dust bucket container had a split inside and wasnt collecting properly. The hoover is 5 years old and cost £270.00. Other family members use EBay all the time for spare parts etc but I'm always a bit dubious.

I once bought an ironing board which turned out to be so rubbish that when I put the iron on the stand, the whole thing flipped over as it was as light as a feather.

So I decided to have a look and to my surprise found a dust bucket with filter for £14. If it keeps my hoover going for another few years, it will save me some serious money.

It arrived in 5 days but....when i open the packing and bubble wrap, Oh my the smell!!
It was like a stagnant pond, so disgusting. Upon further investigation, it would appear the seller had washed the filter but....didnt dry it properly so the water was sealed in the package for several days.

I took out the filter and washed it in detergent in a bowl of hot water and oh my the dirt that came out was dreadful. The seller had given it a "quick" wash but not thorough. I had to wash it twice and leave over night in my boiler room to dry it thoroughly.

I emailed the seller yesterday and stated my annoyance and to my surprise I got a reply just now and this is what it said
"sorry careful" ????
The message from EBay says I have been issued with a complete refund including postage. So I'm glad to have the refund but it seems I'm jinxed with buying anything on Ebay.

Does anyone on here use it and what have been your experiences, good or bad?

Given the strange message, I wondered if they were foreign perhaps.

I did manage to use the hoover today so that is a result. I shall now keep my old filter and give that awash and then I will have a spare.

Florence in the hebrides

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 25 Apr 2023 12:12

hi Florence, I appreciate your annoyance with the condition of your purchase

but PLEASE don't call your Dyson a "Hoover"... It isn't..

Hoover, much misused, is a trade name,

As is Dyson..

Bob

;-) ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Apr 2023 12:18

:-D :-D :-D Bob, yes sorry I meant Vacuum Cleaner lol ;-) ;-)

Yes when we were young it was always called a Hoover by my mother but Grandma who was always correct called it the Vacuum cleaner!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Apr 2023 14:41

It can you call it a vacuum cleaner if it had no vacuum :-S :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Apr 2023 00:43

Florence ................

We always called it a Hoover when I was young, as did OH, even if it wasn't.

So what do we do when we got here and needed to buy a vacuum cleaner?

Walk into a store on the main shopping street downtown, and ask for a Hoover.

The assistant said "We don't sell Hoovers"

That was when we realised it was a Singer store, so we bought a Singer vacuum cleaner!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Apr 2023 09:16

Going back to your original question, Florence -

I've bought and sold many things on eBay over the years.
All trouble-free experiences, as far as I can remember, except the time a buyer said she hadn't received the item. Royal Mail website said it had been delivered, but the buyer said it hadn't. I had to refund her. Fortunately not a large amount of money (it was only a cardigan), but annoying. I've always wondered if she was telling the truth or not.

I don't think I've ever had to return or complain about anything I've bought. Maybe I've just been lucky!

If selling, you have to be accurate with exact measurements and description, and give as much detail as possible.
My daughter sold a child's tunic top recently, giving the size stated on the garment label, but the buyer returned it, claiming it wasn't a tunic, it was a dress, and too long for her child.
If I'd been selling it, I'd have put both words, tunic and dress, in the title, to cover all possible perceptions of it, and also given exact measurements, so that the buyer couldn't say it wasn't as described.

If buying , you have to be able to read between the lines, and also ask as many questions as possible about things which aren't mentioned but which are important to you, to be sure the item is what you want. Then you have all the details in messages as proof in case it isn't satisfactory on arrival.
I always ask for exact measurements of garments. "Medium", "Large", "hip-length", "longline" etc, are too vague or subjective. Something that's hip-length on the seller might not be hip-length on me.

It's also a good idea to compare prices of an item on both eBay and on Amazon, assuming you know the specific make/model of something, to see which is cheaper. Also, even if eventually buying an item from eBay, read the reviews on Amazon.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Apr 2023 10:00

Thankyou Ann for your tips.

The filter was dry enough to use last night, so attached the "new part" and hoovered away and yes, the suction is back to what is was but there is now a smell in my house of the smelly filter!

So last night i washed my own which wasnt that dirty and def smells fresh and let that dry overnight. I'm going to swap them over in a minute and chuck the other one outside in the bin. My house always smells so fresh so windows are open and full of Febreeze..

I guess I just got unlucky this time , however they have given me a full refund so nothing lost!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Apr 2023 10:24

The best website I have ever come across for spare parts for electrical appliances is

Espares.co.uk.

They stock just about everything you could need, all new parts of course. They also have lots of videos on there which show you how to tackle jobs, so you can save money by doing it yourself.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Apr 2023 10:24

Oh my, I went into my boiler room cupboard and the smell when i opened the door was so awful! So i took out filter and threw it away and replaced it with my own one. I have left the door open to get rid of the smell.

Then made a decsion. I went onto Amazon to see how much a new Dyson DC40 would cost.

I found one that was refurbished with a 1 yr guarantee for £189 so not bad and then...the computer offered me coupons and I got another £50 off yay!! :-)

So I got it for£139 plus £10 postage which I think is a bargain.

It should be here in a few days.

I shall come back and let you know what its like . if there is any problem, Amazon have always been great at refunds no quibbles so I feel safer buying from here.

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Apr 2023 10:28

This story is why I don’t buy from eBay. Although, annoyingly, I know people who have had great bargains.

Like Linda I also use Espares.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Apr 2023 10:31

Yes names, I wont be using EBay again for a long time.

A brand new DC40 is over £400 and I cannot afford that just now so if this refurbished one does me a couple of years, I might buy a brand new one next time.

The one I have is 7 years ago and was well used.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Apr 2023 12:22

I agree with Linda and Names -
Espares is invaluable.