General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Ann McDonald

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janice

Janice Report 27 Apr 2023 10:31

Newspapers articles for Bigamy in 1913 warrington/Liverpool Lancashire? Husband was William McDonald. Bigamist marriage to Matthew Ryan 1903.
Any ideas how to find articles relating to this would be very much appreciated. Thank you

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Apr 2023 10:46

Do you know that it was actually reported in the newspapers?

You can use the newspaper option via Search at the top right. Or you can use the British Newspaper archives.

Your othe option is the newspaper collections held by some libraries in the area.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Apr 2023 10:49

On Findmypast ( also will be on https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ you can have a look there at 3 articles free I think)

Daily Citizen (Manchester) 18 October 1913
Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 30 October 1913

and others.

"Brother and sister of the prisoner acted as witnesses to both marriages". Says in one that she returned to her "lawful husband".

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Apr 2023 10:52

Interesting, first husband was a soldier and had been in India, he told his wife she could marry again as he wasn't coming back, and then he did!

Janice

Janice Report 27 Apr 2023 13:26

Thank you for your replies

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Apr 2023 18:37

Expanding on Nameslessone's post above:

If you have credits here on GR (it'll tell you in the very top of this page) , go to "Search" at top right of this page, then "British Newspaper Archive".

Search for" William AND Mcdonald" in Lancashire, in years 1913 to 1913

The first two results are from the St Helen's Examiner (18th and 25th October) , and you can view images of the original reports.

Further down the results list are several other reports in other papers.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Apr 2023 09:23

Love that quote, ‘Old genealogists never ….. ‘, Argyll. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Apr 2023 12:21

Joy - I was given a little sign that says 'I shook my fmaily tree and a bunch of nuts fell out'

Not making any comment about those on here ;-) ;-)