General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coronation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Von

Von Report 4 May 2023 10:43

A very interesting programme on the making of the military uniforms hosted by Patrick

Grant ( Sewing bee ) last night on BBC 2. Coronation tailors Fit for a King.

Catch up on Iplayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001llnv/coronation-tailors-fit-for-a-king

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 May 2023 11:28

I saw that Von, yes was very interesting

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 4 May 2023 13:02

Thanks for that Von <3

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 4 May 2023 14:14

Sounds interesting Von, thanks for the link :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 May 2023 17:43

The MailOnLine had a big article on this company yesterday that I read yesterday evening, along with lots of photos.

It was fascinating!

BTW ...........the BBC IPlayer can only be seen in the UK.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 May 2023 17:45

I watched that fascinated, Von.

I recorded it too so I could easily watch something that took my interest again.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 May 2023 18:01

Thank you Von.

I will enjoy watching and learning about that.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 May 2023 19:51

This is due to be repeated in the middle of the night on

Sunday 7th May at 2.55 am. on BBC2.......and.....

Tuesday 9th May at 2.15 am. on BBC2

One of these is likely to include sign language

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 May 2023 21:13

Sylvia, do you have BritBox? I got it on a half price offer last month: $49 for a year. That offer seems to come around every 3 months or so. (I tried to do it last time, at the last hour, but the website refused to work and I didn't have the time or energy to go after the offer.)

This is their Coronation Collection at the moment:

https://www.britbox.com/ca/coronationcollection

I will watch for the Tailors program to be added, fingers crossed.

Edit: It has the Platinum Jubilee Celebration. On the day, we sat and listened to Heather Hiscock on CBC News nattering and babbling and refusing to shut up for hours, as is her wont, thinking we were waiting for it to start, and it never did. I thought that was pretty bizarre, given that she's our head of state and all, and we sent horses and stuff.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 May 2023 23:09

JoonieC ...... no, we don't have BritBox.

In fact, I hardly ever watch TV, and OH just watches the news, especially BBC World in the late afternoon.

We're thinking how we will watch the Coronation ................ coverage starts on both CBC and Global at 3 am our time, and I haven't found any information on whether there will be a full repeat later in the day or just snippets.

Having watched the Queen's Coronation on TV back in the day, lying on the sidewalk outside the kindly left open front door of the only neighbours who had a TV, along with 5 or 6 other kids, I'd like to watch this one, and OH is also interested, 'cos he also watched in 1953.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 May 2023 00:01

You will probably be able to get it streaming on CBC Gem. We can't do Gem, because I made the silly mistake /sarcasm of buying an LG TV 5 years ago and that's the one thing that CBC Gem doesn't work on, for no reason I've been able to grasp. So much for our tax dollars and public TV etc. You should check out whether you can get Gem on yours.

We watch quite a bit of TV -- a lot of news and documentaries and a lot of serial dramas, particularly Brit series on PBS and the older ones on Vision. I'm increasingly peeved about how much content CBC is putting on Gem while it treats us plebian cable watchers to weeks of hockey playoffs and neverending reruns of Schitts Creek and 22 Minutes on actual TV. I can watch Gem on my giant desktop office monitor, I would just rather not sit at the computer by myself to watch TV. And my pair of cheap refurbished old Chromebooks that we could have synchronized for watching in the living room can't get Gem either.

Britbox is the first & only streaming service I've ever done, and I was pretty surprised at how easy to organize it was. Gem is free (although CBC is kindly also putting some content on a pay version now) so check it out maybe.

https://gem.cbc.ca/

Here endeth your Canadian content interruption. :-D

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 May 2023 00:04

If anybody's interested in watching the inverview with Anne that apparently caused a stir in the UK, it's available on CBC Gem at that link:

https://gem.cbc.ca/

https://gem.cbc.ca/adrienne-arsenault-reports-series/s01e02

I've got it recorded on the DVR and just haven't had time to get around to watching it yet. She apparently isn't on board with the idea of a slimmed down monarchy. Well, with Andrew and Harry gone, can it really get much slimmer? ;-)

And I mean, could anything be "slimmer" than Catherine???

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 May 2023 03:50

I think Anne's comment was really along the lines of she agreed with the slimmed down monarchy, but the desertion of Harry and Andrew means too few people to pick up what they would have done.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 5 May 2023 09:46

I watched 'Tailors Fit for a King' last night and found it really interesting :-). It was good to see that the two sister companies and the Mill that produced the crimson fabric were all old English family run businesses :-)

I bet there have been some sleepless nights getting all the uniforms ready in time :-0