General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Blackbirds

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 5 May 2023 10:44

I've just been watching a very handsome male blackbird trying to feed a young one with some of the bread I'd put out on the bird table. Unfortuanately the piece was too big and each time he gave it to the chick it tried a couple of times to swallow it before spitting it out. The 'dad' kept on trying until the female blackbird flew down, picked up the bread and after efficiently biting it in half fed it successfully to the chick.
She then flew off squawking loudly - I don't understand blackbirdese but it seemed pretty obvious she was questioning the parenting skills of her hapless partner!
I will now break the bread into smaller pieces!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 May 2023 11:45

At this time of year bead should be softened by soaking to help the chicks swallow it. That must have been fascinating to watch. She was probably saying 'Do I have to do everything round here?'

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 May 2023 13:20

The smart one was dad of course!

You're so much better than I am at [feeding the chick, hoovering the carpet], I just don't know how to do it right.......

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 May 2023 15:10

I wish we had a like button on here. JoonieC Lol!!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 May 2023 15:15

:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 May 2023 00:00

Joonie :-D :-D