General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

communication problems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 May 2023 15:36

I had a chuckle when I read the following

**** 22, of Harrow, north-west London, said his office was ‘full of oldies’.

The digital designer said he was interviewed by three men and a woman, all in their 50s who ‘kept saying things I’d never really heard before’.

He got the job ‘but I’m the youngest in the company by at least ten years and sometimes I just don’t have a clue what the rest of them are talking about’.

The research was carried out by Rethinkly – an online coaching tool. It said its study showed how the age-divide was affecting business.

A spokesman said: ‘Our study shows Gen Zers are struggling to communicate with their elders in the workplace.

'We found 41 per cent say they encounter challenges with speech, with 28 per cent saying the inability to communicate within the workplace has had the largest impact on productivity.’

Andrew Jackson, Rethinkly’s co-founder, said: ‘Communication challenges are directly aligned with morale, productivity and commitment.’

And here was me thinking I never understand what the young are talking about these days.

and also I chuckled at the fact he referred to over 50s as oldies. :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 5 May 2023 21:43

Give him time. When I was 22 I never thought that one day I would be 'old', but fifty odd years later the one day referred to seems like only yesterday :-)

As for communication, phrases and sayings are constantly changing and evolving in light of whatever seems to be happening during that period of time that a person lives in.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 May 2023 23:03

As a 'youff', I can't remember a time when I couldn't understand what older people said.
My grandchildren (aged between 5 and 21) appear to understand me - and I can assure you, if I said something they couldn't understand, they wouldn't sit quietly and politely, accepting this was how granny spoke - they'd tell me!!

Perhaps the youff of today spend too much time online looking at 'influencers', and listening to their 'I'm so individual and great' rubbish, that they think these self proclaimed 'influencers' are actually speaking grammatical sense. :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 May 2023 07:46

Maggie :-D :-D :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 May 2023 12:10

Like Maggie, I don't remember not understanding older people or younger ones. I worked in an office with all ages and we all understood each other - I think!

Talking of new words, what do you think of the latest abomination - that King Charles has been coronated? :-| :-| What's wrong with crowned?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 May 2023 12:26

I heard that and actually thought they had made a mistake. What a weird word. talk about 'make it simple'.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 May 2023 12:38

When I was working in the bank about aged 18, I worked with a lot of older people but I found I learnt to extend my vocabulary by interacting in their conversations. I cant say I never understood what they were saying ever :-S

Half of the youngsters today don't even speak to each other, they just use emojis!

Florence in the hebrides