General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old mementoes or how to get well and

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 May 2023 13:14

truly side tracked!

I thought I should find out what I had put away in 2 old suitcases ( and remember this time to label them!) and of course got caught up looking at bits and bobs. old prayer books, rosaries etc and my mum's dance school medals and associated papers.

Dithering over whether I really needed to keep the latter, I read through a Medalist Competition list at Hammersmith Palais ( 1979) and found mum's entry, "Gold Lady over 50" Tango, but also noticed that the partner to several young girls in under 16 categories was one Anthony Beke, better known now as Anton Du Beke. :-D That led me on another goose chase as one of his partmers had a rather unusual surname that matched the married surname of my gt grandmother's sister .

I think everything will have to go back where it was.

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 May 2023 13:38

Well done Joan :-)

Hard isn't it. I've just packed the case again, it seemed wrong to get rid of anything even though someone will have to eventually. And I'm just as bad, all the birthday/Christmas cards that family have given me are there also.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 22 May 2023 13:54

When my sister died last year it fell to me to clear her home, she had lots of cases and bags filled with papers and photos etc, So of course we had to go through it all . I found photos that I had never seen before that belong to our mom and some original certificates including my mom b/c from 1913 which was just about in one piece. Took us a long time to check everything but had to be done.

Ginnie

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 May 2023 14:03

Do'oh!
I was about to get up and do something useful - then I saw this! :-|

My gran kept a lot of Christmas/birthday cards.
It's sweet seeing the cards your elder brothers (now aged 72 and 73) made for their gran 65 years ago :-D

I've kept a lot of the cards my daughters sent to me.
For my 40th, my younger daughter made me a card out of a box, with 'UB40' on it, and pictures of, I presume, members of the band :-D
I was going to give it back to her on her 40th, but I couldn't find it in January - workmen were still making this place habitable.

I'm not sure what my descendants will make of the cards my girls gave to me - they may think they hated me, but hopefully, will realise we try to give each other the funniest/rudest cards we can find - and it was me who started it! :-D