General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birds in the attic?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 May 2023 19:02

I can hear chirping and I'm downstairs, so is that where the sound is coming from or am I paronoid?

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2023 19:06

Do you have a chimney?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 May 2023 19:08

Yes but we have had it covered to stop them getting in.

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2023 19:10

Just thinking that it might amplify the birds chirping even if they can't get in it? We had that where I used to live, the pigeons on the roof sounded like they were in the house.

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 May 2023 19:11

Any overhangs or shades at your windows they can perch on?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 May 2023 19:12

That could be what is happening then.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 May 2023 19:59

It could be fledglings in the guttering, waiting for mum& dad to bring the food!

Island

Island Report 24 May 2023 20:11

Sparrows are quite noisy, could be on your roof.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 May 2023 21:29

I'm going to keep an eye on the situation tomorrow. Thanks all for your help.

Allan

Allan Report 24 May 2023 21:51

I've got bats in the belfry

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 May 2023 22:50

:-D :-D :-D

Just like to say, ZZzzz, there is a sparrow's behind the guttering - probably in the next door's attic.
These are bungalows, and I 'should' be able to hear them, as my hearing is excellent - but I can't..

.However, they're fledglings now, can fly, but still expect to be fed when they're out.
THAT's when they make a lot of noise!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2023 05:27

We have a bird called a Northern Flicker here, which is a kind of woodpecker, and it makes a loud long single note call that sounds something like "kye ee eer". We've long had 1 around the back of the house, and even had a pair try to nest in a hole in the old cherry tree (the crows got into the hole and ate the babies :-(

A couple of years ago we were in the front room when we heard that noise very clearly, loud enough to actually be in the room, eventually decided it was coming down the chimney.

OH finally went out and looked up at the roof, and the darned thing was clinging to the side of the chimney pecking away at the brick trying to make a hole!!

They nest in holes in trees, but also in pieces of wood, and have been known to make their way through the wood siding that a lot of older houses have.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 May 2023 11:42

If the noise is constant, then most likely birds.
But if it is a regular - but spaced out - cheep cheep, then might it be a smoke alarm that is telling you to replace the battery?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2023 23:29

YES, Inky1 ...... you could be right!!

We've been caught by that 2 years in a row ........ not mistaking a bird for it though, but which smoke alarm was "cheeping" :-S

Linda

Linda Report 27 May 2023 00:42

This remind me of a story when I was living down near Heathrow we had a two bedroom house and on the landing in between the bedroom one and the bathroom and bedroom two there was a door although it has been taken out of ours it had not been taken out of our neighbours, one evening while her husband was at work and I was just going to bed she came in Lynn help I’ve heard foot steps in the loft and if you hear them Dave will believe you haha next morning he had a look but found nothing and yes we were teased, a few months they decided to take this door down and with it came a load of bird feathers, the smile was on the other side of his face, and we never let him forget it <3