General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Release of the 1931 Census of Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 30 May 2023 13:27

Anyone with Canadian Ancestry, like myself, will find this of interest

On June 1, 2023, the Canadian government will release the digitized records of the 1931 Census of Canada. This highly anticipated event will reveal a snapshot of life for more than 10 million people living in Canada then. Canadian law dictates that census records be kept private for 92 years, but following the release, nearly 235,000 images will be available to browse on the Library and Archives Canada (LAC) website. After the initial release of these digitized records, LAC will partner with Ancestry® and FamilySearch International to read the images using Ancestry’s state-of-the-art handwriting technology and check the index for accuracy. These collaborative efforts will create an advanced searchable database of records of Canadian residents.

:-) :-)

Maddie

Maddie Report 30 May 2023 13:56

thank you hopefully i can track some relatives

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 30 May 2023 14:26

That's useful to know. Thank you

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 May 2023 17:32

Thank you Belle.

Two Herefordshire brothers on my tree went to Canada, so I will be interested to see where they lived.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 30 May 2023 18:07

I have quite a tribe in Canada, so that will be useful, thank you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 May 2023 18:35

It may well be a big help for researchers who try to help with records /info for British Home children.

I am on their Facebook site and try to help BHC descendants with info on their U.K. family etc

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 28 Jun 2023 18:15

The 1931 Census is now up and running on Ancestry as I've just found my Mum on it on Prince Edward Island :-)

I haven't tried FamilySearch

Not sure if it's a gradual release but I thought I'd mention it for those who have Canadian ancestors :-) :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Jul 2023 17:17

And belated thanks to you for this news! I hadn't been keeping close watch for Ancestry to get the census up, so after seeing this, I got some time a couple of days ago and found my mum and dad and their parents, no news there but it's great to see them and see that my grandmother's lovely spinster older sister, born when their mother was an unmarried housemaid and never accepted by her stepfather, was living with them.

And No.1's parents and three of his grandparents. No big surprises, except that it does seem that his mother's father really was the husband twice her mother's age who died not long after the census, and not the nice "Captain" (no other name remains in No.1's memory) with whom grandma spent the years after that. I'm going to have to wait for the 1941. Meanwhile, No.1's father's father remains a mystery buried somewhere in Buffalo NY, I suspect.

Gotta get those DNA kits done and sent...

<3