General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BSL - (British Sign Language) Font for PC

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 14 Jun 2023 18:38

Hello

For the last couple of years i have been learning BSL and have come to the point whereby i would like to be able to correspond in writing with the deaf community.

i have been made aware that there is a font for this. I am not technically minded and therefore have been unsuccessful in achieving my goal.

Any advice or help much appreciated.

Thanks

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Jun 2023 21:45

From a quick Google search -
have you tried this?

https://fontbundles.net/able-lingo-asl/1751350-bsl-font-british-sign-language-auslan-font-type-in

What program do you use for writing documents?
Note what it says:

PLEASE NOTE: After installing, if you don’t immediately see the new font in your program, close and reopen whatever typing program you’re using (MS Word, Photoshop, Cricut, LibreOffice, Notepad, etc).

PLEASE NOTE: Google Docs is a cloud-based app that uses special web-based fonts. It is not possible to add custom fonts to Google Docs at this time.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 15 Jun 2023 03:30

Hi Mark

I commend what you are doing. There are plenty of apps on Google Play Store, (I searched "fonts for deaf" so if you use phone, tablet or a Chromebook the choice is there. I would imagine Apple have much the same on their app store.

This may be a silly question, but why is there a need for this? Surely if somebody is deaf they can still read?

Mark

Mark Report 15 Jun 2023 13:09

Thanks everyone

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jun 2023 19:04

Mark, have you considered learning International Sign Language? You will then be understood in various other countries rather than just the UK - and get a march on the hearing traveller whose language skills are extremely poor.

This was brought to my attention more than twenty years ago by a lovely elderly professor who was trying to promote it to aid deaf people who wanted to travel worldwide and be understood in more countries than just the UK.

I often think that it would be a great idea that we all learn ISL as we will be more easily understood rather than struggling with a variety of languages from a variety of countries.

I admit, like Duncan, I could not understand why special fonts would be needed for the written word as hearing loss does not mean one is unable to read. I am not sure that I understand what you meant there.

Mark

Mark Report 16 Jun 2023 23:52

People who are born deaf do not always use a,b,c but BSL

Many different signs and word order is different to English. BSL is it's own language and therefore has its own structure. Eh

What's your name?

Name what?

If you are talking more than one you point at the person so others know who you are talking to..

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 17 Jun 2023 06:15

Hi Mark

Yes I sort of see it now. If somebody is born deaf, how could you even begin to teach them to read?

As I said, I commend what you are doing.