General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Happy Canada Day

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jul 2023 21:00

........ to members in Canada!

It's a lovely sunny day in Vancouver. The sky is blue, a light breeze and temperature around 22C.

There are all kinds of ceremonies around the country. We just stay home and enjoy the day.

kandj

kandj Report 1 Jul 2023 21:14

Happy Canada Day Sylvia, I hope you've enjoyed your special day today x

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 1 Jul 2023 22:02

Happy Canada day. Did you do anything special to celebrate?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jul 2023 23:26

Happy Canada Day! <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Jul 2023 02:24

Happy Canada Day.

It's Sunday for us now, but I hope you are still having a very pleasant special day.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Jul 2023 04:02

Thank you.

The main celebrations are in Ottawa, the capital, and they had to be halted today for several hours because of the weather .................. thunderstorms and threats of tornados!

The fireworks show did eventually go off after the danger had passed.

We stayed home, and spent the day quietly.

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jul 2023 05:13

Rather warm all day felt into the 30's as Sylvia says storms and threats of tornadoes on and off all day. Lots of fireworks all around tonight didn't see them spent most of it in the basement with a scared dog.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 2 Jul 2023 10:39

My mum was Canadian, so I sent an email to my elderly aunt, my mum's last surviving sibling, via her daughter wishing her a Happy Canada Day. My aunt has recently broken her hip but was looking forward to watching the fireworks from her balcony:-)

Caroline, my dog hates fireworks too so I know how you feel:-( <3

Gwyn had passed the following on the daily Thread yesterday which I thought was rather touching :-)

Canada Day is remembered locally.
305 Canadian casualties from the first World War are buried at Shorncliffe Military Cemetery not too far from here.
Every year to honour them, there is a service of Remembrance on or near Canada day, where local school children attend and each places a posy on a soldier's grave.
It's been happening for many years now to show they are not forgotten even though their loved ones may be too distant to visit.
<3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Jul 2023 18:14

LondonBelle ...... thank you for passing on that information from Gwyn.

I have heard about that ceremony before. It is very touching that the children still remember the WW1 dead.

Caroline

Caroline Report 3 Jul 2023 13:11

What a lovely gesture, and yes many dogs hate fireworks and thunder. If fireworks just happened on a given day that would help but they happen often (illegally), last night they were still going past midnight. Sadly it was the dogs birthday and she had both thunder and fireworks.......never mind her birthday cookie treat made up for it somewhat......not even my dog it's my daughters :-)