General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Energy boost.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Jul 2023 14:59

Can anyone out there recommend some tablets for this, as I get bodily tired half way through the day and would rather not, there is nothing medically wrong by the way, thanks. x.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jul 2023 15:01

An afternoon snooze instead?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Jul 2023 15:09

That would be good but not possible where I'm going.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jul 2023 15:41

May be slow release energy foods might help ?

Google for details, but could include....

Sweet potatoes
Whole-grains such as oats, brown rice, and whole-wheat bread
Beans and lentils, which contain low GI carbohydrates and protein packaged conveniently together
Chia seeds, which gel up in your stomach, slowing down the rate your body breaks down carbohydrates
Rice protein, which is 100 percent plant-based protein that stacks up well against other proteins

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jul 2023 16:53

I agree that eating the right foods is the best way to go.
A big bowl of porridge for breakfast.

If you're determined to have a tablet of some sort, Google "Supplements for tiredness".
Vitamin B Complex seems to be the most frequent suggestion, though most search results are supplement companies' websites, therefore biased.

But this one also gives general good advice:
https://www.berocca.co.uk/the-energy-blog/why-am-i-always-tired-in-the-afternoon-tips-to-combat-the-post-lunch-slump

NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sleep-and-tiredness/self-help-tips-to-fight-fatigue/

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jul 2023 17:39

As you are going somewhere do you need a quick boost for an afternoon or are you going on your hols and not wishing to miss out?

Whatever it is don’t have a big or heavy lunch.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Jul 2023 18:34

It is for a boost in the afternoon because that is when I struggle with tiredness/lethergy or as I put it my get up and go has gone.
PS not sleepy.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jul 2023 19:16

Sorry, when you said not possible where you were going I thought it meant you were off out or away.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Jul 2023 19:23

I will be going away soon and expect to be doing a lot of tourist type walking.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jul 2023 20:00

Aah. Healthy eating, plenty of sleep and plan your day carefully. I often give up after lunch on holiday and let OH go off on a walk.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Jul 2023 06:54

ZZzzz, for a quick burst of energy, half a Mars Bar or some equivalent and for longer release of energy, a banana. I would also recommend dancing (the lively kind), starting with about 15 minutes and slowly building up to an hour a day.

I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Jul 2023 11:13

ZZzzz everyone's blood sugars drop between 2-4pm and 2-4 am. So we are more sluggish at those times and night shift workers feel it worse at those times too.

When on holiday, I always think a light lunch like a salad or fruit will make you feel less full. You could have an energy drink and a snack if you are out walking.

Having a heavy lunch will bloat you and def make you feel lethargic and tired in the afternoon particularly if its warm where you are going.

I always maintain that little and often is better on holiday, a small snack every 2-3 hours should help.

Hope you have a lovely time. When are you going?