General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does the Messaging System Work ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 11 Jul 2023 12:26

Does the messaging system still work, I have not had any replies or messages for months ?

PH

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Jul 2023 12:50

If you have sent messages, check in your sent messages box and see if the message has been opened. You can also click on that persons name to see if they are still members.

Replies are sent by email, so do you still have the same email address that you used when you became a member?

Hope this helps

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Jul 2023 12:51

Are you trying to use it yourself? Or hoping for contact re family history? As far as I know you can still send messages. I will send you one in a minute.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jul 2023 13:58

Some people just aren't interested and just let their subs roll over. Floroence asks if you still have the same email address - the other person must also have kept Genes informed of any changes. You should get a notifucation if you have had a reply which may have gone ito spam, but as you've got to logg in to read it you may as well do the check Florence mentioned.

It is working - I got messages a few days ago.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Jul 2023 14:37

I sent Paul a message hopefully he will find it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jul 2023 19:44

I receive and send messages frequently via the system.

Remember the following facts .............

Both parties must have kept their email addresses up to date with GR

People have lost interest and pay no attention to information received from GR

GR never removes a member for the site, a paying member is just dropped to the free list. The member or a representative who has the member's password are the ONLY people who can remove a tree and the member information. The only time GR does remove someone is when they have been banned for some reason.

There have been many hundreds of thousands of "members" since GR started, and many of them will have become incapacitated or died (let alone lost interest, changed email addresses, etc), and their trees will remain on here forever and a day, unless they gave permission to a family member to remove it.

You can check to see whether the mail has been opened, by going to Messages, Sent Messages ..... if the envelope is GREEN, it has not been opened. If the envelope has gone, then the person has opened it but may not be interested.

However, some people have reported in the past that they have received a response months or even years later!