General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Home Contents Insurance renewal

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Aug 2023 12:40

I have today received my Contents only renewal figure from SAGA.

Last year I paid £32.73 for the whole year. The renewal figure is...£100.64!!

Nearly 3 times as much. After hanging on the phone for 30 minutes to discuss this with SAGA, I hung up as couldn't wait any longer.

I went onto MoneySupermarket.com and guess what? It gives a quote from SAGA for annual fee of £44.40!! So how come, they didn't give me this figure? I expected a small increase but this is for contents only, no high priced items, no garden furniture just basic cover for fire, flood and accidental damage to items within the home.

Does anyone else have just contents insurance and have you received a renewal for this year? Has it gone up a little or loads more?

I am going to try tomorrow and speak with SAGA to discuss.

If they say the £44.40 is for only new customers, I shall argue the fact that surely
existing valued customers already holding a policy, should qualify for a loyalty discount? What's to stop me cancelling the policy on the 31st Aug and then 1 Sep take out a new policy?

Not a happy bunny :-(

Florence in the hebrides

Island

Island Report 8 Aug 2023 12:51

My home insurance went up by 55% in July! A lot of money.
Not currently being in the frame of mind to deal with it. I paid up just so I'm covered.
Not happy either but have bigger things to deal with.

I assume you're contents only because you rent your house?

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 8 Aug 2023 13:03

There was a new law brought in to stop companies offering lower deals to new customers, but it doesn’t seem to be working. We always use a comparison site to get a new car and home insurance company every year. We never stay with the same company because they rip you off. It used to be that if you got a new equivalent quote from another company, the original company would match it when you rang up, but for the last few years, they haven’t, so we have left.

I suggest that you look on one of the comparison sites like Money Supermarket and find out how much you coukd save before you ring Saga again

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Aug 2023 13:09

This happens with our Saga travel insurance and they usually agree to match their own lower on line offer.

We have home insurance with Nationwide and daughter has their contents only one, both have gone down this year :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Aug 2023 13:10

Linda, it was on the money supermarket site I discovered the cheaper quote.In fact it was nearly the cheapest quote.

As I am renting now and no longer a home owner, I only need contents so really shouldn't be very much.

I have until the 31 Aug to sort it so plenty of time.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 8 Aug 2023 14:18

My premiums increased this year too :-|

When I went to that insurance company to cancel my policy from the renewal date the Agent said I'm sure we can see if we can offer you a better renewal premium! Too late I said I've already found a cheaper and better cover policy, he then started to plead with me to let him give me a new renewal premium :-(

I told him, as politely as I could, it might be better to discount renewal premiums for loyal customers then you wouldn't have people shopping around and cancelling their policies. :-|

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 8 Aug 2023 14:32

Our insurance isn't due till end November but last November it went down in price by quite a lot. The renewal letter said that they had looked at the price we would be offered as a new customer and adjusted our premium accordingly. I expect it will go up this year but hopefully not by too much.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Aug 2023 16:09

LB, that's what i intend to do tomorrow if I can get through!

Island

Island Report 8 Aug 2023 17:04

Do they make up prices as they go along?

Something not quite right going on :-| :-|

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 9 Aug 2023 02:44

I also shop around every year when I get car or home renewals, and very rarely find it worthwhile to just renew. This year I saved £30 on my renewal cost.

But I also use Topcashback, which enables you to earn money by shopping at an untold amount of websites. So for my car insurance, which I renewed last month, I earned £45 by switching breakdown cover to RAC in addition to their 50% off deal, plus another £38 by insuring through Go.Compare. It's not payable straightaway, but I should have it before Christmas.

The law has changed so existing customers have to receive the same price as new customers, but the insurers just ignore it. Play them at their own game, always shop around, and always use Topcashback (or Quidco, who are much the same).

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Aug 2023 12:25

Job done...get in there :-D :-D

After a wait of 25 minutes, got through to a lovely lady. I explained i found it cheaper on money supermatket .com and she tf me to new sales.

The gentleman set it all up for me in minutes and didnt have to go through everything as nothing had changed since last year. So i got it for £44.40

When I asked why couldn't I have been offered the lower quote, she really didn't know why??

Anyway all sorted now :-D :-D

Florence in the hebrides

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 9 Aug 2023 12:37

Well done, Florence :-D

If you don't ask you don't get ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Aug 2023 13:08

Yes very true :-D

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 9 Aug 2023 16:50

When you phone a company to discuss renewal or costs etc you usually get a load of options to choose. Whatever you're phoning about press the option saying you want to cancel your policy and it's amazing how quickly that gets answered !

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Aug 2023 20:29

It only gave me the choice to wait for an advisor and the waiting time was about 20 mins. It was 30 before i got through.

But another occasion trying to get through to my old electricity supplier, i did try that Cornish Susie and it was quicker!