General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jam Pot Sizes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Aug 2023 12:18

Way back jam was sold in 1lb jars, which stayed the same size after we went decimal, except for the weight being called 454gms. Like many people. I buy jam/marmalade from the supermarkets and if I like the taste of it, I usually go for the cheapest.

This week I was doing a price comparison on marmalade and I suddenly realised that the jars were 420gms. Both Coop and Morrisons are smaller. The only one that I use that is still a full pound is Tesco, so although it costs a bit more is actually better value!! :-)

As the jars still look the same, I don't suppose I am the only person who didn't notice the difference.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Aug 2023 13:26

You have to be so careful when you think you spot a bargain. Usually cheaper because it is so much smaller.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Aug 2023 13:53

Yes we scrutinise most items before we choose which one to buy, Sainsburies Hubbard is really good value so that is our chosen item in most cases.
It takes us a bit longer but then we are both slower than we once were.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Aug 2023 14:56

In Tescos I buy Stockwell strawberry jam & marmalade and they are both 454g in size.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Aug 2023 15:04

Just did a quick check on the price with coop & Tesco and size.

Stockwell marmalade at Tesco is 39p and very tasty too, 454g

Stockwell strawberry jam at Tesco is 75p and also 454g.

Had a look at the coop and you are correct Andy's mum, their jars are 420g. Also their own brand jam is more expensive at £1.50 and for a smaller jar!

They must think we dont notice ;-)

Florence in the Hebrides

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Aug 2023 15:39

I have not tried Stockwell marmalade, so when finalising my order for tomorrow just now I have changed from Tesco's marmalade to give it a try. However, it is 75p - still less than Tesco's own, but if yours is 39p, Florence, I suggest you stock up!!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Aug 2023 15:59

Oh waa, Stockwell is a name in my family tree. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Aug 2023 16:10

Find even Sainsbury’s are using these fake farm style names. What a waste of money - perhaps explains the story I ave just read on line. Brands, supermarket and main brands, are cutting the ingredients of well known products by using more fillers and cheaper alternatives.

So, if your favourite product tastes different - it is not you it’s them. :-|

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Aug 2023 16:25

Oh sorry! 39p? Wishful thinking I guess just not sure where i got that from??? It is 75p sorry for the mis info....havent got me specs on ;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Aug 2023 11:41

just bought a packet of shredded wheat, massive box 30 biscuits...

and there appears to be an emptiness at the top.

yeah room for another 4 biscuits i reckon!

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 15 Aug 2023 06:27

Golden Shred, available just about everywhere, is still 454g. I appreciate that it's much more expensive, but I haven't found a cheaper one that I like.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Aug 2023 10:01

Even more expensive, but still 454g, are Cooper's Oxford marmalades.
Also Rose's various marmalades are 454g.

I only buy jam or marmalade if I'm having overnight visitors.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Aug 2023 11:36

I usually buy Waitrose essential marmalade but is has upon price. My excuse is it the nearest supermarket after our small village shop.