General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it only me.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Aug 2023 13:57

That compliments total strangers on their coats, shoes and well behaved children. Hubby doesn't get why I do that but. the same has been said to me so I think it is right and some times we have a bit of a chat.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Aug 2023 15:09

Very willing to chat with strangers, but I tend to keep conversation general and not mention anything personal.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Aug 2023 15:24

We were once complimented on the good behaviour of our three grandsons aged about 7, 11 and 12 after a meal in a restaurant. It was nice to be complimented. (they were always well behaved when eating out, praise due to their parents rather than us. But because of this if a child in a restaurant for a long meal is exceptinally well behaved, yes I would compliment the adults with them. But not on clothes ot other personal things. Always happy to chat if spoken to.

Island

Island Report 14 Aug 2023 17:02

I do if the situation is appropriate - ie, I wouldn't make a bee line for someone in the street. Life's too short not to be friendly.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 14 Aug 2023 17:15

In some cases, yes. I was asked directions in Bath centre a while back, and the man complimented my jacket, it can give one a little boost!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Aug 2023 04:03

Back in 2019, we were in Jasper, on Whistler Mountain which overlooks the town site, had gone up in a shuttle bus to the base of the gondola ride to the top.

I was wearing a long skirt as usual, everyone else was wearing trousers or jeans, so when I saw another lady wearing a long skirt, I couldn't help commenting on it.

I also met a lady on a Canadian train on one of our Christmas trips, she was wearing the most gorgeous hat and it really suited her. So I complimented her on it on our 3rd meeting.

I've made a point of complimenting parents on well behaved children. It happened to me when our daughter was young, and I really appreciated it, so I feel I'm just passing it on.