General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Keyboards for PC

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Aug 2023 17:01

Because I do a huge amount of typing, I regularly wear out the most used letters on my keyboard.

Usually I just order another one when it becomes almost impossible and I make lots of spelling mistakes. The I and O have completed disappeared so i regularly mistype them!

So I went online and found one made by Trust that looked identical in everyway. Next to the word Trust there is a logo to the left. It came the next day so was pleased about that.

However, I started bashing the keys and realised straightaway, something wasn't right as my fingers were touching other keys and this doesn't normally happen.
All became clear when I measured the keys and found the new ones were square and my old ones were rectangular. 15mmx 10 mm. The new ones are 10mm x10mm. Far too small.

So I sent it back and got a refund, all sorted.

So went on Ebay as couldnt find one anywhere else and it came today!

But....keys are ok. But.... its a quiet keyboard and you cant hear the letters as you bash them grrrr My current one is what's called a mechanical keyboard and I really like the sound as I type. At leastUi know I have hit the key as without sound, you dont!

Went back searching online but to no avail. I guess this one is now out of date and it would seem that all the keybiards are quieter thesedays.

But not one to give up, I think hopefully I have found a solation. A permanent fine nib white marker pen suitable for plastics. Its been despatched now so really hope it works.

What kind of keyboard for a PC do you all use? Are you like me, old school and like the "clickerty clack" of the keys or do you prefer a silent keyboard?

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Aug 2023 17:37

The clicking noie is fine, unless you are the one having to,listen to it. ;-)

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 23 Aug 2023 17:58

I use a PC and my clackity keyboard is a Lenovo, because that's what IT consultant S gave me.....
Before that, I had worn the lettering off my keys, and repainted it with white nail polish. I think it's my long nails that wear the letters off.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Aug 2023 18:24

Yes but my keyboard has rectangular, the new square keys are far too small and i cant type as quick especially as i have also long nails GF.

I love the sound, just what I grew up with and not going to change now!

Island

Island Report 24 Aug 2023 20:46

Do you mean a desk top computer?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Aug 2023 21:58

Yes a PC with separate keyboard that you connect to the back of the computer or at the front if you have spare ports.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Aug 2023 04:33

My current keyboard is a Logitech, chosen by the "geek" who set up my new system back in late 2020.

It does make a clickity noise, but it is the first keyboard that I have had where the letters are wearing off. So far, in the last2 months I have lost most of the E R T A and S..

However, I am a quite slow 2 or 3 finger typist, never had lessons, so I do always proof read everything very closely!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Aug 2023 11:15

Sylvia, just out of interest, can you measure your keys as I'm curious to know if they are square or rectangular please, ty

Florence in the hebrides

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Aug 2023 12:50

Yay, the marker pen arrived and I have repainted my letters. Lets see how long they last although it is a permanent marker pen!

I decided to keep the other keyboard for a spare ;-)

Florence in the hebrides

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 25 Aug 2023 13:24

Florence try giving the keys a coat of clear nail varnish it should stop them wearing off so quickly. :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 25 Aug 2023 15:56

My keyboard is a Lenovo and the letter and number keys are square but I've just measured them and they are 15mm x 15mm. Even the function keys of F1 to F12 are 15mm x 10mm on my keyboard. I type fairly fast and am a touch typist and this size key suits me perfectly. I agree with you - 10 mm square is too small. You'd be in danger of hitting two keys at once if you are typing fairly fast.

You seem to have found a good solution with the marker pen so let's hope it works for you and the letters stay nice and clear for a long while.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Aug 2023 19:16

Vera, i typed for years in the bank and can type 60 words a minute which is why i wear out the letters so quick. Yes 10x10 is far too small thats why i sent that one back for a refund.

I may do as LG suggested and paint over the keys with clear varnish to prolong them wearing off. Ty for that :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Aug 2023 20:38

Florence

my keys are just about rectangular ......... 13 mm width x 15 mm :-D

There's about 5 mm spacing between keys, which I find OK, until my nails get too long :-D