General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Once in a blue moon "

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Aug 2023 13:26

A super moon will occur tonight.

Will anyone be watching?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66657541?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

From the above site...........

No special equipment like a telescope is needed to observe the sight - it will just be a case of looking at the sky towards the south.

In the UK the peak time will be 02:35 on Thursday. But as long as it is not cloudy, the Moon's rise should also be spectacular as it appears above the horizon shortly after sunset.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 30 Aug 2023 14:38

Thanks for that Gwyn, I'll take a look weather permitting not sure about at 02:35 though :-0 ;-) :-D

Von

Von Report 30 Aug 2023 16:59

I went looking in the early hours of this morning. :-0 :-0

Will try again tomorrow :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Aug 2023 19:07

Thanks Gwyn, I love looking at the moon...not sure if i will be up at 2.35am though!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Aug 2023 20:49

We can see it now :-)

At the moment, a street light is in our line of view too, so I hope to get a better look, when the moon moves to a darker patch.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Aug 2023 22:26

Better now that it's higher in the sky.

We had to wait for it to reappear from behind a dark cloud, but it was great to see the emerging brightness evolve into the full super moon :-D

Some great pictures online from around the world.

Von

Von Report 30 Aug 2023 22:28

Just seen it too Gwyn. Certainly is bright :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 30 Aug 2023 22:33

It is as bright as day here. We live in the sticks with hardly any light pollution :-D

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Aug 2023 23:06

Very bright.
For once we have a clear sky, so can see it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Aug 2023 10:11

Thanks for the reminder, Gwyn.
I didn't think I'd see it from here.
Looked out the front - nothing.
Went out the back - there it was, visible between the chimneys of the 2 story house at the end of the road. :-D

Very bad photo - but better than nothing!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 31 Aug 2023 10:17

Happened to wake up around 2.30 this morning. Bedroom south facing and it was visible, and beautiful. I took a photo on my phone but was half asleep without my glasses so it's not great, but still good in my mind's eye!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Aug 2023 15:07

I saw out of the window around 8.50 an orange glow coming up over the hill. So i went out the front door with phone in hand and waited patiently for the moon to rise and to get a pic. i waited and waited but no moon :-S

I realised later on that it must be hidden behind a cloud! But at 11pm, I went outside and there so bright was the supermoon. I took a pic on my phore but it didn't come out very clear and looked like maggie's but a big bigger.

Quite disappointed I didnt get a pic when it was orange and rising :-(

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Aug 2023 15:35

Saw it last night about 10. Huge glow all round it but none of it was bkue :-S ;-) :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Aug 2023 16:46

:-D :-D :-D@ names