General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

School has started.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Sep 2023 14:55

You can tell that because the papers are beginning to fill up with all the stories of the pre ious children who have not followed the rules about uniform.

Some had to sit on the floor for hours, previously I read that some school had to split up the school hall into sections because they couldn’t use the classrooms.

They should have been at school with me. Maybe not so tough on uniform. Sometimes had to use the hall as classrooms were out for some reason - didn’t complain - stuff happens.

Would have preferred sitting on the hall floor rather than kneeling on it for half an hour or more (Catholic School) or joy of joys, finding the rush carpet was down - ooo the
pain. We might have moaned about it but our parents would just have laughed rather than call the papers.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 7 Sep 2023 15:18

My Grandaughter went into floods of tears because she couldn't have the skirt she wanted (not recommended uniform) guess what she was told to pack it in and lump the one she had to have :-D :-D :-D.

I used to be a Brownie leader and we had the same problem with uniform especially shoes which were not safe enough to run about in. There was no reason for any of them to not be dressed correctly as we used to supply all the uniform for those families who could not afford it.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Sep 2023 15:49

I liked the tale of the mother who thought that what was good enough for primary was good enough for secondary(shoes). Did she not attend a school herself?

Added. I also like how people know how to contact a newspaper or news organisation but appear to have never read that paper.

Island

Island Report 7 Sep 2023 16:29

Is it the parents (mothers?) contacting the media though?
I would have thought it more likely that lazy 'journalists' hang about outside schools - some folk like a bit of 'celebrity' or, more likely get their snippets from social media and contact the posters.
The 'world' has become very silly. We just got on with the business of being kids, unencumbered by parental fuss potting. I do blame the parents not the kids - granny even, they won't be that old these days.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Sep 2023 10:09

I don’t agree with the ban on braces ( teeth). Although I could understand a ban on the coloured clips. I wonder if they are referring to the removable races?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Sep 2023 20:52

When I look back to my school days at high school in 1951. My first classroom had holes in the walls. And thinking back I am pretty sure that the walls were made of asbestos. Safeltyvwhat safesty. It was freezing cold, the wind blew through the holes.new would not have thought of complaining and didn’t even tell our parents. And school uniform that we were proud to wear. We conformed.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Sep 2023 21:05

I can remember spending a Saturday scrubbing down the walls of an old science lab so that we could use it as an ordinary classroom.

Somehow my cohort had some of the worst rooms in the school for several of the years I was there. Some of those were in a dreadful old house - ‘65’.