General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Cursed Picture

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Sep 2023 16:51

Has anyone been following the story of a picture bought in a charity shop in St Leonards on Sea?

The picture is of a young girl in a red dress. Her eyes apparently follow you whichever way you walk. It was sold firstly for £20 but soon returned as the new owner didnt like it, said it was creepy and wanted rid.

So recently another lady bought it and she has said that strange things have happened in her home since its been there. Her dog wont eat his food and growls at it. her router box apparently overheated and nearly went on fire.

Its been put up on EBay and bids have reached over £900!!

Keeping an open mind. In a picture/portrait, eyes that follow you usually mean the artist is very good and not spooky. It was done in pastels and some shading on the portrait has been taken out of context by saying its a shadow of a figure behind her.

Have a google yourselves and come back here and say what you think.

Just put" cursed portrait in Hastings" and various newspaper reports come up.

Florence in the hebrides

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 12 Sep 2023 17:34

I did read the article about it and it was discussed on the Jeremy Vine show but haven't read anything since. I can't say I found it 'spooky' and didn't think it was particularly well painted .
I wonder if the owner had it back so she could sell it.

I wouldn't have brought it anyway would you Florence?

Ginnie

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Sep 2023 18:32

No JG, I wouldnt have bought it all, not my cup of tea.

You wonder if people exaggerate to make money ?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Sep 2023 22:09

If they have exaggerated to make money - it seems like they have succeeded!!!

Not sure I'd want a portrait of someone I didn't know, taking up wall space.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2023 16:13

Some people have over-active imaginations, in this case encouraged by clever marketing.